Beginners Essentials - LEGERING

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Another fine article Mark. Although a small variation in my set up is that I tie the paternoster link facing down toward the feeder, I found the line breaks at the knot too easily if facing back to the rod. I know that it's said this causes line twist but I can't say I've noticed it in practice.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I tie it that way as well. Not sure where the diagram came from, not one of mine as far as I can remember. I wrote the article, which is a revamp of a little booklet that Graham M. originally wrote years ago, over a year ago.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Is there a trick for keeping track of which limb of the loop comes from the main line and which from the tag, so one may be sure of using the former for the hooklength?

Reaction score
Either tie a loop in it first (to attach your hook length to) or use a lighter BS line (it will look different) or it's the one with the hook on the end.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Er - I mean, when you tie a loop and cut it off-centre to make a long hooklength - or hooklink - and a short link to attach weight to, how do you ensure that the bit you cut long is the one connected to the main line, not the one connected to the tag-end?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've used a paternoster before with blockend feeders on the river.

I fish the mainline of anything up to 6lb straight through to the hook - for strength.

Then tie the feeder on the weaker paternoster link, using the end facing up the line.

I used a sliding knot so that if the mainline broke the feeder link could slide off the mainline.

It seemed to work well and caught me some decent chub, barbel, roach and bream.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I tie it that way as well. Not sure where the diagram came from, not one of mine as far as I can remember. I wrote the article, which is a revamp of a little booklet that Graham M. originally wrote years ago, over a year ago.
I'm pleased to see you do it the same way, I thought the diagram was one of yours. Did you find the other way weakens the knot or have you never tried that way?

I had always tied it with the hooklink pointing down to the feeder until I saw an article in IYCF (I think it was Bob Nudd) showing the hooklink pointing back to the rod tip. I tried a few times but soon went back to the usual way I had been doing it.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Er - I mean, when you tie a loop and cut it off-centre to make a long hooklength - or hooklink - and a short link to attach weight to, how do you ensure that the bit you cut long is the one connected to the main line, not the one connected to the tag-end?
It doesn't really make any difference Alan as the hooklink will still be the weakspot in the setup. I've used the loop method and the waterknot method of making up the paternoster and as long as the hooklink is lighter than the mainline it's the safety point if a break should occur.