All B*ll*cks and cormorants!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Gave me a chuckle, especially the "Cheeb" pronunciation!
Not come too far since "Yellexawndra Pyellace", have we?
Auntie Beeb, bless her, we all want her to change just a tiny bit - unfortunately, we each want different bits to change in different ways, so on she sails, more essentially our "ship of state" than our elected representatives could ever be, bum-first into the future. If only the ol' girl wasn't so daft...

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Wonderful stuff and so accurate... but I wouldn't swap Auntie with all her faults for any other news provider. It's the closest thing to fair and unbiased as we are ever likely to get and her mistakes are usually genuine ones.

michedw91

Reaction score
i dont mind them in coastal areas but in rivers and lakes they are a big pain i call them the black death or the black barons as they they eat more than enough fish that they need god knows why and in the dorset stour big roach are in decline because of there arrival so i think shooting them needs to start again

johnnyfby

Reaction score
A friend of mine fishes a local river near me, which is enclosed land. 65 cormorants so far this year.

Good lad.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
but I wouldn't swap Auntie with all her faults for any other news provider. It's the closest thing to fair and unbiased as we are ever likely to get and her mistakes are usually genuine ones.

Definitely. Sad to see a hack in the Manglers Wail this week (free read, never buy it) opening his piece about angling on TV with "the bloated BBC". You will be wailing, sonny, when some lean, mean, truth-lite, cost-cutting outfit gets handed the hugely demanding and important task of informing Britain and the World.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Geoff's and Paul's comments here prompt me to emphasize that the piece was of the 'Humorous' genre, though it does highlight the sensationalism with which much of the 'local' news is sometimes varnished. I can certainly see a journalist's dilemma: having to produce a report sometimes at very short notice, but not infrequently - particularly in the matter of fishing - they really do fail to do the most basic research, it would seem. The above article was prompted by a piece on TV just recently which highlighted the problem of angler's line which had become snagged on rocks somewhere in the south-west. The reporter stated that "Just a few inches of this stuff can be deadly". Very emotive, but hardly accurate. I don't actually cite the BEEB, but seeing as others have, I'll readily praise Auntie for the bulk of what it does.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
My club has a licence to shoot these lovely feathery creatures. The problem is our farmer friend who does the shooting cant count to more than two, then he's often forgotten the two and has to start again.

The local EA fisheries people decided to do a cormorant count on the river Wear in Durham City. The month of May was chosen; result, we don't have a predator problem :rolleyes:
They seemed to overlook the fact that most of the cormorants were taking their summer vacation about 12 miles away on the coast, all dressed up in the breeding plumage.

Last edited:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
"They seemed to overlook the fact that most of the cormorants were taking their summer vacation about 12 miles away on the coast, all dressed up in the breeding plumage".

Looking for a shag presumably, John.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Apropos 'All Bo**ocks and Cormorants' and the very misleading TV news reports about the 'success' of the otter population..........I rest my case!