My 100lb Carp! – Geoff Maynard on Fishing for Carp in Bankok

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I thought about dropping to a 2/0 and 25lb line because there are some seriously large crucians in MF :)

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Very nice Geoff, deffo some big old kippers in there!

Do you have any of these siamese carp in the Hong Kong lake Kev or are they all commons/mirrors?

cg74

Reaction score
An enjoyable read Geoff, cheers.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just curious; these Thai commercials all seem to be located in very urbanised areas, does this detract from the air of 'the unknown' or reduce your enjoyment gained?

It may sound a little ambiguous but its just for me without any signs of natural surroundings, it'd feel a bit wrong.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Amazingly, you can't hear a car or any other city sound whilst on that lake, in fact you wouldn't even guess it was anywhere near a city. And they are not all inner-city fisheries. If I remember correctly, many of these commercial fisheries have numbers instead of names, and the number corresponds with the number of kilometers they are down the road - so fishery 53 would be a 53K drive away. There were about 18 fisheries in 1979 on the road south of Bangkok. I thought that was a lot back then, don't know how many there are now, lots more though.

Nobody pretends these are wild fish. It's a commercial, pure and simple, same as our commercials. Some days are easier than others but it's still possible have a tough day, especially if you don't use a guide to show you how to do it. But once you get on them, the fish are just mega!

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:08 ----------

I understand what you mean though cg, I feel exactly like that when I trout-fish Farmoor or any other concrete-bowl trout fishery

noknot

Reaction score
I thought about dropping to a 2/0 and 25lb line because there are some seriously large crucians in MF :)

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Do you have any of these siamese carp in the Hong Kong lake Kev or are they all commons/mirrors?
No Geoff, none at all, we do have Big Head Carp (which grow BIG!) Grass Carp and Silver Carp. Mirrors are Very rare here, I have only caght two, but hundreds of Commons, The Commons go big too!