Splitstop - The Biggest Innovation since the Hair-Rig?

B

Berty

erm...........................................................................no.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Ermm.... yes! That all make a lot of sense. I'll have a go. it's only a couple of quid - what's to lose?

guest61

Reaction score
Probably not for my styles of fishing, but I won't criticise someone who is trying to make a living. Good luck with the launch Chris.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Ermm.... yes! That all make a lot of sense. I'll have a go. it's only a couple of quid - what's to lose?

"what's to lose" Errm, at a guess a couple quid?!!

Two questions:
How do you get the bait onto the hair and how much line is taken with each half rotation of the stop?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A 1) Push the blobbed or knotted hair through the bait with a baiting needle - same as you normally would.
A 2) it looks like about 2 to 3mm

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
THey may work, but biggest thing since the hair? ..... nah!

Yeah, maybe so. I reckon PVA probably takes that title - we all have our own opinions. I've yet to see these splitstops but they look pretty good to me. I can see applications for them

B

Berty

Yeah, maybe so. I reckon PVA probably takes that title - we all have our own opinions. I've yet to see these splitstops but they look pretty good to me. I can see applications for them

It all depends on when the hair was really "invented" ;) i knew we would miss Ron :)

cg74

Reaction score
A 1) Push the blobbed or knotted hair through the bait with a baiting needle - same as you normally would.
A 2) it looks like about 2 to 3mm

So corn and small boilies are a no, no then. I was under the impression a baiting needle wouldn't be needed, must have misread LaGuna's posts on another thread.

Shortening your hair length by 2 to 3mm could be handy (if that's how much it reduces by?), may well buy a packet but a major innovation it ain't.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I don't usually post links to other sites but this one is to a dead site anyway:

www.fishing.co.uk

The article was originally accompanied by the Angling Times cutting to which is referred but the image was lost in a server/software "upgrade".

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Just seen this on Chris' website. Still pondering, but what the hell is

. Component for the ROE-LOOP cluster rig
. Component for the MANAKIMBO rig
. Component for the JESUS rig

Am I allowed to tie a Jesus rig if I'm a non-believer?

And -
"Less dangerous to use than a baiting needle"

Only time I stabbed myself with a baiting needle was with a packet of Sonubaits 16mm Hallipellets that had really hard centres for some reason. The needle got deflected and came out the wrong side of the pellet and straight through my finger. I was brave though and pinched down the barb on the needle, pulled it back out and treated the wound with Kryston's Klinik. Carried on fishing, but I doubt that these Splitstops would help in that situation.

Incidentally, Googled Splitstop and found some very nice screws that don't split wood when they go in. So thanks, they look useful.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
So corn and small boilies are a no, no then. I was under the impression a baiting needle wouldn't be needed, must have misread LaGuna's posts on another thread.

Why are they a no no? Just thread 'em on a needle and pull through. Easy peasy! :)

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Oh God not another latest greatest thing since the invention of the wheel,best thing since sliced bread blah blah blah

How long does it take to clip on a new hook link with shortened or lengthened hair, or for that matter how long does it take to actually tie a new hair. Not long and one hell of a lot less fidley than this latest can't do without.

laguna

Reaction score
No need for a big knot or blob guys, the splits are 0.2mm and 0.35mm to accommodate different hair thickness's. A single overhand small knot/blob will be enough to prevent the hair from slipping through.

Will Barnard wrote about the hair length being adjustable and the products ability to be used with or without a loop or needle...
SPLITSTOP's wont suit everyone's particular style of fishing like this, but can still be used normally as a traditional dumbbell with a hair loop, or opened to form a "T" shaped meat stop or even opened completely flat to form a crucifix for holding paste etc. which makes them a little bit more versatile.

When used without a loop or needle, the knotted/blobbed hair can be simply passed through the hole of a pre-drilled bait.

For soft meat, cheese and corn, just pull the knot/blobbed hair through with a small gated baiting needle - the type used for splicing a lead core. Alternatively with dry, firmer baits like Babybel, a needle fly tube punches out a neat little hole ready for the hair to pass through (you can also use those flat-ended ink cartridge needles).
With softer baits not liable to splitting, a simple modified plastic Q-tip with a "V" shaped notch cut in the end of the tube serves as a push tool to feed the knot/blob through quite easily too.

I hope you find them a useful alternative, thanks.