Barbel Fishing – The Pope’s River Diary: January 2013

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I'm blowed,I'm first to comment again!:rolleyes:

Interesting read Steve, especially your take on the baiting methods you need to change, and those you need to vary owing to the individual river you're fishing and the circumstances you find at the time.

Many I'm sure use the same method and tactics whatever river they fish, so food for thought ..as usual.

Thanks

barbelboi

Reaction score
Enjoyed the read again Steve, especially your reflections on my local Kennet. I found that it was fishing well, (also the Loddon which as we know comes up much quicker than the Kennet) especially if you picked the rising ‘tide’ at the right time during the deluge spells) until the middle of November then it was very much picking your day – not bothered much since just before Christmas with all the snow/snow melt/floods (couldn’t drive up the hill to get out the close for nearly a week). Things appear to be settling down now with milder weather from tomorrow – hopeful for a few decent weeks before the close.
Jerry

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Cheers Fred, pleased you enjoyed it, I'm sure you will like the next one!

Thanks Jerry, hope you find a few before close of play, I'm sure there will be a window opening for a chance or two!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes, as you say Steve, fairly basic information but I am sure it will help some of the novices to barbel fishing.

A fair read for the newby.

Graham

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Excellent read Steve, enjoyed it. I just enjoy fishing for Barbel as well, very happy to land any Barbel of any size but also welcome the occasional double if it comes along!

Each to their own approach and more power to their elbows but I haven't dissected and re-engineered my approach to fishing for many a year - just tinkered with it on the hour every hour :)

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Graham,

I sense a very slight sense of disdain in your post but nevertheless.

I am a big fan of the Julian Cundiff style of writing and I'm not into anything too complex, barbel fishing for me is a relatively simple exercise, so it shouldn't be a surprise when I write in that way!

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your comments, as I said to Graham the simple things are what matters yet so often get overlooked. I will keep on making that point!

All the best.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has Graham written two or three books?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
??? Steve you said

"I’m very aware that those of us who have been fishing for barbel for many years take a huge amount of what we know for granted, it’s why you often hear groans on the forum when the same old topics keep coming around, the fact is it’s old hat and obvious to many but for some it’s all very new. I suppose this has become far more apparent to me in recent years since I started guiding."

I Said
"Yes, as you say Steve, fairly basic information but I am sure it will help some of the novices to barbel fishing.

A fair read for the newby."

I actually agreed with you???????? and it follows my own experience of guiding over 500 anglers over the years.

Jason.

Plenty around the web, some very simple from 15 years ago or about 4 or 5 in your old BarbelFisher Magazines. Here's one to try .

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/articles/isawheragaintoday_files/isawheragaintoday.htm

2 Titus, very simply written ones, sold out before printing, last 2 sold for £80 each on ebay.
But I don't pretend to be much good at it, but enjoyed writing them.

Hope thats clarified my comment.

Graham

Last edited:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Well it does seem as if apologies by Steve or Jason are not the order of the day. Shame.

jasonbean1

Reaction score
shut up graham, stop trying to drag it out :D....ive just got back from the pub and ive got the day off work tommorow and i'm trying to think where i can go and get a bite in the morning ...i could reply on here but i reckon a full english to start the day off is the best bet!

Steve Pope

Reaction score
No problem with an apology from me Graham!

Once again it's how the reader interprets a post, and of course with the knowledge of how a poster sometimes likes to write!

But seeing as you have made it clear that it was not a dig I have no hesitation in apologising to you.

We'll both have to be more careful with our words in future.

All the best.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Cheers Steve.

I think you will find I have rarely criticised you and have a lot of respect for what you achieved in the early years of the BS.

You are also well aware of the one individual area I do feel you made a monumental mistake, explained to you personally face to face and if you look back with honesty then reflect, it's true. How different things would be.

Anyway, 'nuff said.

I am also impressed in how the Guiding is going, it can sometimes be challenging but very rewarding seeing the effect one can have on improving others angling skills. I have just got the one Group of 8 on the Wye this summer for my really last session, booked up within 3 days so happy.

Jason. Was it 'umble pie for breakfast? LOL.

Last edited: