Big Chub – Missing the Eights

Simon K

Reaction score
As I was saying on another thread recently, there are distinct advantages to working with another, trusted angler. This has been proven even on a stretch we both know well.

Testing swims along the entire length of the fishery until the quarry is contacted, taking note of the conditions to work out the most likely movements of the species, when the best chance of feeding spells are, keeping the bait going in, in our case using the same bait..........and the results speak for themselves. Multiple 7's, multiple 8's and a 9. Plus a host of back-up fish.

I'm especially chuffed for Bob as his long-term illness has curtailed his fishing over a long period of time and, by chance, this winter has seen my fishing severely restricted by illness, too, so he was able to spend more time on the bank than me, for a change.

Focusing on your target, learning from blanks and having faith in your watercraft is the backbone of specimen angling and when it pays off.........it's such a great feeling!

I wouldn't mind, but I damn near wrote my car off on the way to photo his first "7" a month ago. I knew I should have told him I'm only coming out to witness an "8". :eek:

Well done again, mate. An amazing Winter's Chubbing. :)

rubio

Reaction score
Outstanding.
Gotta admire your cunning strategy to wait until they get to 9lb before you bother catchin' em

jimlad

Reaction score
Incredible fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Brilliant Bob. A Really massive Fish. And Very Well earned.

Nice to show these young whippersnappers the way.....................(Lol)

Graham

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Thankyou everyone.

benny-- Simon King--Big Chub-Thoughts and Observations

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
One thing I should have mentioned in the article, the Lea is FULL of Signal Crayfish.

From a fishing point of view they are a complete nightmare, eating anything that comes withing range, soft baits don't stand a chance.

Even Hard baits such as Boilies and Pellets have to be checked every half an hour if you are fishing areas with high populations of Crayfish.

And those area's are the soft bottom parts of the rivers and lakes that have the Lea running through them.

The good thing is, all species of fish like eating Crayfish and they now seem to form part of the staple diet of Chub, the main reason I believe the Chub of the Lea system have grown so big in recent years.

Leading around is well known to Carp anglers as a way of feeling the lead as it drags over the bottom and is trasmitted through the line to your rod tip and fingers.

It gives you an idea of the bottom type you are fishing over, be it silt, clay, or gravel and the contours of the bottom.

From experience, finding areas of clean Gravel on the river bed has one distinct advantage, the Crayfish don't like it and even in predominately clay and silt parts of the river, finding small areas of gravel gives an angler a better chance of keeping his bait in the water for longer without the attension of Crayfish.

This was one of the things that gave Simon and I an advantage, we would always lead around in new swims to find the Gravel spots.

If we had trouble with Crayfish, often it was down to not being on the gravel outcrops, which can be quite in small, maybe a metre or so in size.

If the Boilie did not land on on the Gravel it would go missing along with the hair and boilie stop in a matter of minutes, find the gravel and the boilie would still be there in hours !!

Bob

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great fish Bob congratulations.
Thanks for the information/thoughts in respect of the crayfish, that may come in handy at some time, although at present,crays are not a problem up here.