Close Season Fishing - Operation CLAMP DOWN

beerweasel

Reaction score
Yep this is great news, now I have something to hunt in the close season. :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
About time is all I'd say.

For the past 2 or 3 close seasons I've been reporting illegal fishing on my local stretches of the Hampshire Avon.

Now, hopefully, something concrete can be done about it.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have reported close season fishing on a small river that I fish the ingreboune and the EA have raided it on sevral occaissions and caught a few at it bloody good job as well the more of these people that get hit the better it is not as though they have no where else to fish some people are never satisfied.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tiinka, is that the Essex Ingrebourne ?

Yes it is rises near south weald park and runs into the thames at rainham creek it produces some nice fish the odd barbel to 4 pound chub to 7 pound I kid you not dace and perch and of course eels. The EA stocked it in 89 with chub dace and barbel They did the beam in dagenham at the same time but only chub and perch and of course eels along with mitten crabs and the odd crayfish not as good as the ingrebourne.Changed a bit since your day I bet.:)

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I knew it, just a bit lower than South Weald(Paynes Brook) you could just about jump across in places at the age of 8 or 9, the trouble was those bits you couldn't, Mum wasn't too pleased!!

I think I can remember sticklebacks.

Last edited:

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I knew it, just a bit lower than South Weald(Paynes Brook) you could just about jump across in places at the age of 8 or 9, the trouble was those bits you couldn't, Mum wasn't too pleased!!

I think I can remember sticklebacks.

Is that the bit that runs parallel with the A12 going towards Harold woodwith the railway on the far bank.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A bit higher than that in Harold Hill, mostly underground now with houses built over it.

I mainly fish the lower reaches from the back of berwick down to the albion at dovers corner rainham. all that land is now a country park but not many people visit the bottom end its a bit wild.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen it from Harold Wood down, just checked it on Google, quite a bit of meandering!!

Yes it is very similar to the Roding in character but about half the size the bit by Tesco in rainham held a lot of fish in the winter might be a bit warmer but never fished it a bit to popular for me. The part belw rainham is not accessable industrial area but a couple of my friend wh have worked in yards along there say they have seen plenty of fish there but not being able to fish it may not be a bad thing as the fish can always swim back upstream because the is no open outlet into the thames it is a tidal culvert only with a flood gate.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Each year about 1.3 million freshwater rod-licences are sold, last year the EA checked over 80,000 licences and prosecuted over 2700 licence cheats. They also prosecuted 138 people for poaching offences.

Given the numbers sold the ratio of licences checked appears to be low. I have not had my licence checked in the last thirty years. I have reported out of season fishing on numerous occasions directly to EA and the NRA its predecessor and the police. Not much joy with any of them to be honest, let's hope this programme has some effect.

The VBS was launched in May 2012 but it appears existed in name only let's hope that when "Operation Clamp Down" becomes pro-active it will have the desired effect.

Kind regards
Ray

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Slightly off tack I know but does anyone else find it a bit hypocritical of those who defend the retention of the Close season on rivers with such vigour, for many reasons, then go out and target spawn laden Stillwater species without a second thought during that same period.

john_h

Reaction score
I have not had my licence checked in the last thirty years.
EA very much seems to have annual set times for a licence check blitz. Twice in the last 7 or 8 years I've had mine checked at stillwater trout fisheries in early April. I've an idea that the two May Bank Holidays each year are the times they target commercial coarse lake fisheries.

Last edited:

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
EA very much seems to have annual set times for a licence check blitz. Twice in the last 7 or 8 years I've had mine checked at stillwater trout fisheries in early April. I've an idea that the two May Bank Holidays each year are the times they target commercial coarse lake fisheries.

If that's the case John no wonder so many get away with it and feel secure in the knowledge that the chances of being checked or challenged is remote.

Regards
Ray