River Test ‘One Fly’ Winners

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
So, they proved again that they are not just pretty faces then.

Well done indeed, spending a whole day with only one fly on a river like the Test is some feat. Smart piece of fly design though.

Maybe we should see about running a FishingMagic version . . . . . . . . . ?

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I was over in Banff, Alberta, I bought some flies that had been the winner in a One-Fly competition. Cross between an Elk-Hair Caddis and a Muddler with 4 rubber legs on a size 10 longshank hook. Not strictly chalkstream out there though!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Anotherone that is definitely not a chalk stream standard would be one of Dave Chilton's "Crawler" patterns.

Really life-like action in clear water and would take a lot of beating I think.

He gave me one of them to try in March when he was down for the weekend, but I've not dared take it out of the fly box yet, well, not in mixed company anyway.

Note: Dave (of Kryston fame) has another name for them, but that is far too rude for the tender ears on here . . . . . .

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"He gave me one of them to try in March when he was down for the weekend, but I've not dared take it out of the fly box yet, well, not in mixed company anyway.

Note: Dave (of Kryston fame) has another name for them, but that is far too rude for the tender ears on here . . . . . ."

I on the other hand, had no such problems! As soon as it was offered I quickly tied it on and caught well.

A superbly tied imitation, most realistic :eek:mg:

nicepix

Reaction score
If I had to fish with one fly for the rest of my life it would be this one:

It has caught me sea fish such as flounder and mackerel, coarse fish including chub and perch and is deadly for trout in early season and skated across the shallows in late summer.

All credit to Tarrant & co. for managing to keep their one fly on all day. I usually lose at least half a dozen :eek:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
All credit to Tarrant & co. for managing to keep their one fly on all day. I usually lose at least half a dozen

To help all the teams do that they have a couple of blokes on hand with ladders and secateurs to "release" ant flies that get caught up in the bushes or trees.

If you lose the fly in the river then you are retired from further participation.

As you say, no mean feat to keep and use the one fly for a whoe day . . . . . . .

john_h

Reaction score
It's a bit of fun, raises money for good causes, and shows what can be done if you try. Fair play to the organisers and competitors.