Licence Rip-Offs – ATr Campaign ‘Slams Google’

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
The sites in question aren't doing anything illegal.
Therefore there is nothing that google or yahoo or bing or anyone else can do about it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The sites in question aren't doing anything illegal.
Therefore there is nothing that google or yahoo or bing or anyone else can do about it.

Whilst I do think it's misguided to take a pop at Google, they could do whatever they wanted. The fact that search results depend on the number of hits a site receives, or how much the website pays for the priveledge, is more worrying. The biggest concern is that people are quite so gullible.

blackout

Reaction score
Its not clear if these are the same sites that have reappeared or if they are in fact new ones, same owners -new domains?

Google will take them down but they need to be told., the trouble is not everyone is aware and not everyone is on forums such as this one that highlights the problem.

Question is it illegal to charge someone "extra" for a 1getting them a license?
is it illegal to set up a website like this?

if wonga can charge what they do (day light robbery)its no wonder these scammers are about!!!

I have never seen any but more fool them if anglers are willing to pay extra

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
You've a point about people being gullible Sam.
Since returning to fishing a few years back I've never been treated as such an idiot.
A company that offers a rod for 80 quid whilst fraudulently claiming they've never been sold for less than 150 is acting far more dishonestly than these licence sites.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
There's a lot of this about. Mrs S decided to get young Master S a new passport [he's grown a foot at least !] and she went on the 1st hit via Google. Laid out & looked just like a Govt website but was actually a site offering a "checking" service...that was not clear until the very end when Mrs S had paid these footpads.

What did we get ? Confirmation that my sons name is Jack { strangely enough I already knew that] his date of birth [I knew that too] and a passport application form.

Unfortunately there was not a damn thing we could do about it because they had actually done what they said they would do ie "checked" my sons details but to all intent that amounts to pretty well buqqer all. What annoyed me was the BLATANT way in which the site was set up to look like a Govt site. We are both Civil Servants so we know what a Govt Site looks like and it fooled us. I'd like to think I might have smelled a rat had I started the whole sorry lark but I was called in late on & fell for it like a kipper. £40 they had us for and because it was done online impossible to stop. We did contact our bank and they said the only recourse we had was if they didn't do anything....but why do nowt when all you need do is post a form back to your latest victim ? The bank said this sort of thing is rife....sites designed to fool people into thinking they are somewhere else & offering very little in turn for quite a lot. Its akin to misrepresentation but they are very cute about describing/disguising the exact nature of the "sevice" they provide so I doubt you'd get very far trying to take them on.

Thieving Bar$tards !

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
You've a point about people being gullible Sam.
Since returning to fishing a few years back I've never been treated as such an idiot.
A company that offers a rod for 80 quid whilst fraudulently claiming they've never been sold for less than 150 is acting far more dishonestly than these licence sites.

You mean like the TFG centrepin? :D

What you lot need is a reliable Nigerian lawyer like I've got. He only wanted $2,000 to ensure that my inheritance for $6,000,000 (six million US dollars) is paid into my bank account as soon as the formalities are completed. Should be any day now.