Barbel Fishing – The Pope’s River Diary

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Destination Builth Wells and the simply superb Caer Beris Manor Hotel, owned and run by the charismatic Peter Smith - a man who knows just about everyone on the angling scene."

I wonder if if Pete remembers the trip he and I found ourselves on (courtesy of the Indian Tourist Board - I was a last choice after other big names had bowed out**) in September / October 1994?

He was good company. I remember the time on our first morning at Pancheswar (the confluence of the Surju and Maha Kali Rivers, the river below the confluence becoming the Sarda), at the breakfast table in the old British-built Pancheswar Forest Rest House bungalow, I told the assembled fishers something about the spot and its fishing (I had been to it and fished it and other spots in the region a couple of times in earlier years), about the large rock on the beach a short walk up the Surju from the confluence where I had had good fish in the past and a friend of mine a magnificent 70-pounder (mahseer).

The small group of us - Peter Gathercole, the great flydresser and photographer and author of some fine tying manuals, whom I knew from the days when we both wrote articles for Angling Magazine, was one of its number - breakfasted in a leisurely manner, slowly got our gear together, me lending one or two guys suitable rods, reels and lures, before making our way down to the river by the steep hillside path.

"Where's Pete?" someone said as we left the bungalow.

"Don't know ... he was here a few minutes ago..."

Pete was already at The Rock!

** Wusses. 1994 plague in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah meatballs, having taken your advice on them as a bait Steve a while ago,I bought some.
I have to agree from a culinary viewpoint they do not appeal to me, much the same as garlic spam doesn't.
As a bait ? Still to be fully tested, but it will take me some time to have my confidence in the garlicky stuff dented.
Anyway, a good read as ever,thanks.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've just got a rod and bag prepped for a few hours this evening on my local and I'm armed with meatballs! Just an inkling of an idea that might or might not work in a couple of hours time. I'm hoping it's something a little different, we shall see!

Good read Steve, enjoyed that and I agree that as far as anything culinary is concerned, meatballs are the worse things ever.

Congratulations on the new arrival, great isn't it :)

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I'll remind Pete of your story, I'm sure he will recall. He is a great storyteller and he has plenty to tell, if he ever finds the time to write his memoirs there will be plenty running for cover!

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. Give the meatballs a good go, remember how well Howard did all those years ago on the Severn!

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the kind comments. Being a grandad at my age is as good as it gets I reckon, mind you as I type this I have to keep looking over my shoulder to check on my two year old grandson who these days seems to be permanently in my company! Without a doubt its the best thing that's happened in my life for many a long year and I thoroughly recommend it to all those yet to experience the pure joy.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just remind him that the only two decent fish caught on that trip were 22 pounds by a lad I had helped ("That green plug of yours is perfect ... stick with it...") and by me, 27.5 pounds. Also mention to Pete, remind him, that, aside from a slight Plague threat, Kumaon and Garwhal at the time were also experiencing anti-police and -Government riots, that our bus was stopped by a mob that came s-o-o-o close to torching it and all of us in it. I remember counselling the rest of the party with a "Don't react. Stay cool.".

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
A Good Read Steve.

Certainly the Wye can be tricky when its low, and the weather is scorching.

Very litle caught by anglers in the day over the last weekend, in fact I only did a bit of piking for 2 hours in the mornings (without success!)

As you know from about 7pm onwards they come alive in those conditions.

Managed 10 barbel and 7 chub between 7 and 10pm last Monday, but not a time of day to be taking a group of guests on some of those banks!

Interestingly enough they were attacking the feeder with relish, and putting the bait inside the feeder made a big difference to hookups.

Funny things meatballs, and strange that I always found the ones in tomato sauce outfished any other types including the gravy ones???

Like Fred. I have never found garlic to be much good, despite so many lauding it as an additive. Give me cajun spice any day!

Mick is a great bloke to take guiding, took him out 3 times before I retired this season, and I'm glad he had such a good Kennet result with you.

They were feeding on the Kennet last night with a double and an 8lber in the first 2 hours after 4pm and a carp at dusk. Have you found the carp have increased in the river? Thats 3 this season on 6 trips.

Cheers

Graham

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
They were feeding on the Kennet last night with a double and an 8lber in the first 2 hours after 4pm and a carp at dusk. Have you found the carp have increased in the river? Thats 3 this season on 6 trips.

About 15 years ago we would catch carp regularly on the canal parts of the Kennet. I once had two in a short evening session in Feb!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Geoff. Yes there were plenty about 15- 20 years ago. I once had 3 with 2 over 20lb at Ufton.

But a lot were removed by my understanding.

BTW, never seen so many salmon showing as last week on the Wye. One out of the water every 15 mins or so. Mainly smaller 4-8lb fish with the odd double.

Graham.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Kennet carp. I was amazed to find carp occasionally on my corn on the Civil Service and Thatcham A.A. Lower Wey stretches in the late 1970s to mid 1980s, waters which at that time were known by the few for their very few but very large barbel. I remember coming back home to Windsor one evening in 1985 and saying to my mate Kevin (he and his girl were living at my place after returning from a long Indian trip), a great carp fisher (the man who made Blackwater / Colne Mere), and asking "How do I catch them, Kev? Be a shame not to...".

"Here, try one of these." [A boiled bait]

I had two of them, one of them 8.75 pounds, the other twelve, both commons. Must be thirties now!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Meatballs didn't work, had a few nudges but nothing developed. Probably coincidence but changed to ripped bits of garlic meat (although heavily glugged and dusted in some spicy stuff) and had three, 30 minutes either side of midnight, best just under 10lbs.

I'm getting addicted to these small river, muscular fit barbel, at night from very tight, little spots surrounded by reeds and overhanging trees. :)

Aug28.jpg

barbelboi

Reaction score
Another interesting read Steve, the Wye in July was certainly something this year. Looking forward to my Kennet first of the year at Wasing in October.

Graham, don't know if you knew but a lot of large carp found their way into the Loddon from a pit in Woodley during the floods last winter, probably all in the Thames months ago but apparently some were said to better the 30's that got washed out of the lake by the W&H in the mid 2000's.
Jerry

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Jerry. Yes knew about that.

A few coming out of the Loddon this year already.

Mind you had many below wargrave sewage works over the years in C of London stretch incl many over 20lb.

Graham