Get on Board...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I quite enjoyed this article and some of the comparisons that it made.

However, when closing the argument for joining the Angling Trust I truly wish that authors could refrain from using the Moral High Ground Fallacious Argument, such as . . . . "And every single angler worth his salt should join"

I myself am a member of the Angling Trust, and a voluntary contributor as well, but I know a great many excellent anglers, all "worth their salt", or "thinking anglers" or even "caring anglers" who have chosen not to join for a whatever reason.

The Angling Trust, and its supporters, in my opinon should simply stick to listing the benfits of joining; both to the individual in particular and to the sport in general and to please try to avoid the fallacious arguments that are bound to evoke a negative response from non-members.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Convince by exemplary conduct and by example set, not castigate and cajole.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I sense a disturbance in the matrix

. . . . not really benny, I just feel that it is far better to take a positive approach than to try to make a non member feel guilty, that's all.

As I said, I know dozens of really good anglers who are worth their salt who are not (yet) members of the Angling Trust who would resist such a negative approach . . . . . . . . .

Personally, I would have used something like; Welcome Aboard instead of Get on Board as that sounds too much like an instruction . . . . as in, do it!

Remember the old joke about, Give me your hand, versus Take my hand?

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
. . . . not really benny, I just feel that it is far better to take a positive approach than to try to make a non member feel guilty, that's all.

As I said, I know dozens of really good anglers who are worth their salt who are not (yet) members of the Angling Trust who would resist such a negative approach . . . . . . . . .

Peter honestly I respect your opinion and I agree with your sentiments.

A disturbance in the matrix refers to Deja - vu i.e. another spam like AT article.

Oh for something different - different is good.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Another excellent opinion piece from Rod. I'm glad he puts his opinions in articles, where they seem to carry more weight than those of someone writing on a forum (?). I'm also glad he doesn't water those opinions down or pander to those who thinks he should. But that's just my opinion :)
"I try to make my drum-banging in favour of the Trust as clear and as obvious as possible. I definitely do not do thinly disguised!"

Like!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, Geoff, Far too "I'm in with the In Crowd" and am speaking for it now and trying to talk to you (actually down to you) lot out there and far too in-yer-face for a now very sussed, very cynical (as result of being very well-bitten in the past), less-accepting public. This from a MASTER at pressing people's buttons, verbally and in print, but who chose never to abuse and profit from that gift /talent.

Politicians, huh? Show business for the thick, the unprincipled, the manipulating and the ugly.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score

Disagree Paul. Not everyone has that agenda. Rod has passion, that's all. All his previous pieces will bear that out

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good. We'll disagree, then. Be aware that I will always go at people with strong, well-disguised as "This is how it really is for 'grown-ups' ", actually non-Angling-, -Angler, -people in the round, -friendly opinions: their way leads them to the latest most desirable bit of water or syndicate or clique and the rest ("Join us or die") to some commercial watery hellhole and very soon the end of our pastime. Think about it.

nicepix

Reaction score
No, Geoff, Far too "I'm in with the In Crowd" and am speaking for it now and trying to talk to you (actually down to you) lot out there and far too in-yer-face for a now very sussed, very cynical (as result of being very well-bitten in the past), less-accepting public. This from a MASTER at pressing people's buttons, verbally and in print, but who chose never to abuse and profit from that gift /talent.

Politicians, huh? Show business for the thick, the unprincipled, the manipulating and the ugly.

The MASTER at being so out of touch with reality then so surprised when his opinions cause such adverse reactions. And as for not profiting from them; well that is only because you failed to. It was not for lack of trying.

Good. We'll disagree, then. Be aware that I will always go at people with strong, well-disguised as "This is how it really is for 'grown-ups' ", actually non-Angling-, -Angler, -people in the round, -friendly opinions: their way leads them to the latest most desirable bit of water or syndicate or clique and the rest ("Join us or die") to some commercial watery hellhole and very soon the end of our pastime. Think about it.

I've thought about it. And it is nonsense. Didn't they teach you how to write English at school?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
no, geoff, far too "i'm in with the in crowd" and am speaking for it now and trying to talk to you (actually down to you) lot out there and far too in-yer-face for a now very sussed, very cynical (as result of being very well-bitten in the past), less-accepting public. This from a master at pressing people's buttons, verbally and in print, but who chose never to abuse and profit from that gift /talent.

Now that is just plain silly

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"See how they dance, Master..."

"Yes. It takes so little to set them off."

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, just enraging the serially cretinous. They know who they are.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
You for one......sometimes

2.A person deformed and mentally handicapped due to a congenital thyroid deficiency.

Why mock the afflicted, Paul? You can do better, you really can.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Paul,

Not someone I know well but a friend of my Mum's - her daughter went from fit, healthy, squash playing geography teacher to Randall P McMurphy basket case in a very short time due to a thyroid related condition.

PLEASE think about things before you launch them. Why not just be grateful that your own health is tickety boo?

richiekelly

Reaction score
He doesn't think other than how he can insult others or promote his huge ego, I feel sorry for him as it must be awful thinking you are better than others but deep down knowing you are not.