Bait Boat Musings

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I ever won the lottery I would have a boat built to my own specifications It would be STELF Boat it would not be seen at all. Instead of carrying rigs bait and free offerings it would carry mini torpedoes designed to destroy all bait boats I would name this submarine The Sweeper. and with a bit of luck and time they will be swept away for ever. We can all dream.:D

B

binka

If I ever won the lottery I would have a boat built to my own specifications It would be STELF Boat it would not be seen at all. Instead of carrying rigs bait and free offerings it would carry mini torpedoes designed to destroy all bait boats I would name this submarine The Sweeper. and with a bit of luck and time they will be swept away for ever. We can all dream.:D

Bit like a submarine then tiinker? :D

Must admit I had similar thoughts...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I really don't see the fuss about baitboats. Provided they are used responsibly and considerately, what's the problem? If they aren't being used responsibly or considerately, it's the fault of the person behing the controls. Blame them, not the baitboat.

For one reason or another, I choose not to use one. However, I couldn't care less if others do choose to use them.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Myself and my friends have talked about the why's and wherefores of bait boats and one of them put it very simply I thought. He said using a bait boat was like playing football with a blind goalkeeper in the over teams goal.

Reaction score
Myself and my friends have talked about the why's and wherefores of bait boats and one of them put it very simply I thought. He said using a bait boat was like playing football with a blind goalkeeper in the over teams goal.

Hmm not sure I see that analogy.

Isn't using a bait boat more like putting your football into a remote control car and then driving it into the opposition's goal?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I guess that the implication is that using a baitboat is somehow cheating.
That's fine, but since when, outside of fishing matches, did fishing become a contest?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ever since the attitude of got to catch the fish come what may came in I think. Same as scoring a goal against a blind goal keeper some people just have to score and they will do it any way they can. It all depends what you want from the sport you chose and what lengths you are prepared to go to, too get it I guess.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
That's fine, but since when, outside of fishing matches, did fishing become a contest?

Surely it's always been thus? A contest between the immense brain and technilogikakacle advances of the 'uman race, against the goldfish and his mates?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some people need a bit more help than others I guess.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Surely it's always been thus? A contest between the immense brain and technilogikakacle advances of the 'uman race, against the goldfish and his mates?

Fair enough, but surely that's a personal contest, not one against the bloke next to you? How far you are prepared to go in "winning" the human versus fish contest is a matter of choice.

If someone wishes to use a bait boat, but does so with consideration for fish welfare and fellow anglers, so what?
I, and many others, choose not to, but I've no desire to stop others using them.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
If bait boats were the only way to get a bait to where the fish are, such as into an otherwise inaccessible bay or distant shallows in the middle of some huge pit, then fair enough. But i have seen them used where an underarm cast or underarm throw would get the bait there. In those situations they strike me as rather pathetic "boys toys".

richiekelly

Reaction score
I first used a bait boat some 30 years ago, it was on built by myself and a mate before they were comercially available, it just had a flat top and was used to get pike baits out into a channel on a large gravel pit, we got some strange looks at first but these faded as we were catching some good pike.

I don't understand why if they are used with common sense why they should bother anyone else, I had one for my carp fishing on a large syndicate lake that I used for getting bait out to where my rig was ( I could cast the distance ) as I couldn't use a throwing stick due to arthritis in my shoulder and elbow, without the boat I doubt I would have caught as many fish.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Fair enough, but surely that's a personal contest, not one against the bloke next to you? How far you are prepared to go in "winning" the human versus fish contest is a matter of choice.

I've used one a fair bit in France when catfish fishing. The competition is between the angler and the fish - but it can make other anglers without boats feel they are at a disadvantage if the boat is the only way of catching. Jealosy? Perhaps. I never had that problem as I would help others position their baits too, which made friends rather than alienated them.

cg74

Reaction score
Ever since the attitude of got to catch the fish come what may came in I think.

Ah the not-so-new got to catch thing; I'd say in Europe it stems back 40,000yrs+, when Mrs Ugg told Mr Ugg; "we need meat, go catch some fish uhh!"

And thankfully for us, Mr Ugg rose to the challenge, otherwise we wouldn't be here now...

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah the not-so-new got to catch thing; I'd say in Europe it stems back 40,000yrs+, when Mrs Ugg told Mr Ugg; "we need meat, go catch some fish uhh!"

And thankfully for us, Mr Ugg rose to the challenge, otherwise we wouldn't be here now...

These days putting food on the table to feed your family does not come into how you catch fish today we do it for our enjoyment even using hand grenades can be justified to but food on the table if that is the only way you can achieve your aim families come first. Not the case today though is it, unless you are a pot fisherman and fishermen that use bait boats are not pot fishermen are they.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Why do some anglers always criticise the way that other anglers fish? if they enjoy what they do and are not interfering with other anglers whats the problem? I don't and wouldn't matchfish but understand why some choose to I don't fish for chub and find them a bloody nuicance when i'm after barbel but each to their own. its a good job were not all the same as the river I fish would be very crowded.

cg74

Reaction score
These days putting food on the table to feed your family does not come into how you catch fish today we do it for our enjoyment even using hand grenades can be justified to but food on the table if that is the only way you can achieve your aim families come first. Not the case today though is it, unless you are a pot fisherman and fishermen that use bait boats are not pot fishermen are they.

Yes freshwater anglers seldom catch fish for the pot but it's the same primal instinct that drives us, hence it being a male dominated sport.
Worth remembering angling only came about as a result of us (as a species) leaning how exploit nature - Farming etc

So is it not perfectly understandable that some have a greater desire to catch than others?

Going with your earlier football analogy, utilising technology like baitboats for angling, surely it's no different to a goal keeper wearing gloves?