There’s Something About Mullet

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Certainly a fascinating fish. I find a small fly spinner and a baited hook will attract their attention on occasions. I find they tend to feed when it suits them though and often find they do not always respond to ground bait. In the river if you see them swimming around on top, they are often un-catchable. Its when they disappear is the time to watch as they have often then gone down to the bottom to feed. One of the beat fighting fish around I reckon.

nicepix

Reaction score
My favourite species :)

Some days you can't go wrong and other days you can't do anything right. Frustratingly fascinating.

The problem I have experienced the last two summers is that the heavy rainfall has made the normally clear water murky and spotting them with a view to stalking is nigh on impossible. And I don't go to Cyprus these days where mullet conditions if not their willingness is guaranteed.

Philip

Reaction score
As I kid I used to read they where one of the most frustrating fish and thats certainly been my experience since I started to fish for them. You can go for hours without a sniff then catch 3 in 15mins. Like Markg says...they seem to feed when they want to and thats that !

They seem to be gaining in popularity in recent years....a really good "crossover" sea fish for freshwater anglers to cut their teeth on.

theartist

Reaction score
I managed to catch my first ever mullet this summer at the first attempt although it did take around 3 circuits of the marina i was fishing to get a hittable take. Over the moon i was and it felt like being a kid going fishing for the first time so another mullet addict here.

They are very cagey but found i found it was more to do with bankside disturbance than presentation as every time i got some on the feed a local would turn up and tell me how hard they are to catch, standing over me looking over the edge whilst i was crouched like an idiot. There's some irony there i think.

Cracking fighters and well worth catching on coarse gear.

nicepix

Reaction score
I managed to catch my first ever mullet this summer at the first attempt although it did take around 3 circuits of the marina i was fishing to get a hittable take. Over the moon i was and it felt like being a kid going fishing for the first time so another mullet addict here.

They are very cagey but found i found it was more to do with bankside disturbance than presentation as every time i got some on the feed a local would turn up and tell me how hard they are to catch, standing over me looking over the edge whilst i was crouched like an idiot. There's some irony there i think.

Cracking fighters and well worth catching on coarse gear.

If you can find a weed raft in the harbour try dropping your bread flake alongside it the gently drawing your float onto the raft so it sits in the weed and stays with it, the bread hanging over the edge of the weed. Sometimes mullet will hide from people under the weed rafts and your bread flake just dangling over the edge might induce a take. Another good place is under boats, but beware of the mooring ropes.

theartist

Reaction score
If you can find a weed raft in the harbour try dropping your bread flake alongside it the gently drawing your float onto the raft so it sits in the weed and stays with it, the bread hanging over the edge of the weed. Sometimes mullet will hide from people under the weed rafts and your bread flake just dangling over the edge might induce a take. Another good place is under boats, but beware of the mooring ropes.

Nice one, thanks Nicepix, sounds about right as i saw a few milling around the flotsum so will bear that in mind next time i'm back down the coast