When to touch ledger?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I know how to touch ledger (wll in theory, in practice I'm not that good) and i think the reason for it is to give an earlier indiction of abite then with quiver tip o bite alarm BUT when would you use touch ledgering as opposited to quive tip?

quickcedo

Reaction score
I will always start using a quiver or alarm, but if for whatever reason I think the fish are "getting away with it" I will turn to touch ledgering. With practice the little plucks and knocks can be turned into fish in the net. Bream can be very finicky feeders esp the smaller ones. so if you can find a water which holds a good head, this would be a great place to practice. Incidently it isn't always necessary to hold the line, just holding the rod can often be enough, as carbon is a great transmitter of vibration on it's own. If you hold the line, keep hold of it on the strike, as you strike the rod one way, (away from the hand holding the line) as this doubles the speed of the hook set. A technique learned through many years of fly fishing. Hope this helps. Mark

Reaction score
M'lud....resisting the temptation to bite on the almost irresistible boilie that is your question i.e. "before the last Batman film or when he's stopped decomposing"...

I have been using touch ledgering techniques quite a lot on the Dane this season. particularly in a couple of swims which can be quite turbulent ...it gives me a clear indication when something is "nosing" about and at times indicated a take more clearly than the rod/quiver tip.

I tend to combine the two holding the rod/line whilst also watching the tip - find it most useful for chub...the barbel I've had out the Dane this season have generally given clear indications.

Poshers

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I think Touch Ledgering comes in to it's own when say wading into a river and then casting down stream so that the rod tip is facing the direction of the cast.
You can hold the rod Parallel to the water which reduces the amount of bow in the line the water flow causes, and a quiver tip wouldn't register a bite fished this way.
So if you want a bite indication when you are fishing with your ledger rod facing the direction of your cast and you don't want to use a bite alarm, you can touch ledger.

Reaction score
Paul

I sometimes touch ledger when fishing on the river at night for chub.

I get a better feel whn using an avon top instead of a quiver tip. The quiver tip, due to it's nature, absorbs some of the pull.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
So if I'm using the quiver tip and getting those small taps that don't turn in to bites it might be an idea to switch to touch ledger - - I ahlf expected this might be the case but it's good to know others think the same

BTW

This is the second serious thread started by me in 2 days - the Trent fish -in and meeting those better ans more serious anglers seems to ahve done me some good - it'll wear off soon no doubt - laso stuck at home with a cold/flu/consumption gives one time to think

Reaction score
Careful Corkers.....the PaSC seems to be contagious....:w

amazing how poor health makes one so much more serious about ones fishing!!!

I notice his Lordship makes reference to serious anglers...I hadn't realised he had attended a different fish-in to the Michael Jackson memorial.

Spitoons

Reaction score
It was very serious.

Seriously devoid of fish

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Just a thought.

Who were you fishing with when you all caught FA at Damflask?

That's right. Lord bl**dy Paul of Sheffield, that's who.

The bloke is a jinx I can tell you.

I'm not going with him again.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Touch ledgering is a great method to employ when bites cannot be hit using a quiver tip. I used to employ the method far more than I do now and, perhaps, I should use it more often now.
The reason I tend not to is that my quivertipping has been refined greatly over the years, as I have done so much of it, and I tend to fish this way automatically now.
I fully agree with Mr.Cholmondeley-Corker that a straight tip should be used when touch ledgering and not a quiver. Using a quiver for touch ledgering defeats the object of both methods. For this reason I take two rods with me. My standard rod is a quiver tip rod but I also take a twin tip rod with me so that I can use the Avon tip if I want to touch ledger.

Rickrod

Reaction score
I like to touch ledger when im eel fishing i only use the one rod when after eels.i get alot of short fast runs no mater how resistance free the rig is.when useing the alarms sometimes the rod tip taps a bit before the alarms kick in. And many a run is missed.But with touch ledgering you feel the bite much sooner than you would hear the alarms this also helps to reduce deephooking.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
With touch legering you will soon learn to tell the difference between proper bites, fish rubbing the line, leaves and sticks going through and even weed brushing the line. It's at it's most useful when using the rolling meat technique (Ray Walton's) or if you're using a rolling bullet, you feel where the drops offs are in a swim so next time you expect them and even look for them.

I agree wholeheartedly with Dave, use an Avon top as the quiver defeats the object. A bit like using a quiver and an alarm. One or the other.

Point the rod, if you can, at the lead. Separate your hands, line in left and keep it tight, rod and reel in right. Don't try to use both hand to do the same task, you'll feel more that way. If you feel a nipping that might be a chub, try Peter Stone's technique and give it an extra yard of line and wait for a screamer.

quattro

Reaction score
I don't do much touch legering these days but when I used to do a bit of sea fishing touch legering (esp with braid) with a light weight off the rocks for Wrasse and Pollock is brilliant. You feel every tiny knock, and feel directly in touch with the fish right from that tiny knock to landing it:)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Interesting article Graham. I hadn't commented on this thread because touch ledgering isn't a technique that I would use in most circumstances. But the article made me think.

A few years ago I was fishing a pit for pike and the bigger ones were really cute. I visualised them scooping a deadbait up in their jaws then backing off. If the deadbait was attached to a lead it pulled out of their mouths and they left it. My response was to pick the rod up and feel the line as soon as I saw a twitch. I would then feed line until the sensation changed (can't explain how) and then strike.

I often hold the rod when barbel fishing and often the first warning of a fish's interest is the vibration felt through the rod.

So yes, touch ledgering is a part of my armoury - I use it often in conjunction with standard ledgering techniques.

Bully

Reaction score
I have to say I dont agree with the comments about not using a quiver. I tend to always hold the line anyway, even if I am quivering with a rest, and when I have roamed and touch ledgered I found no discernable difference using a quiver over and above the use of an Avon.

Think about the mechanics of it. If you are worried about the quiver offering resistance then surely an Avon will offer even more. With the quiver there is some give, but there is none in the Avon, therefore MORE resistance, not less. Plus you have the added advantage of some visual register.

The line pulls through the rings in the same way, so personally I think its a myth that Avons are better.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I think you're right Bully. When I'm barbel fishing in low clear rivers I use a quiver tip and I keep the line as slack as possible, just putting a tiny curve in the quiver. I can still feel the 'sawing' sensation through the rod.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Graham for the article,well explained.
The method is instinctive.
As an anology, it reminds me of the times fieding in the slips on a cricket pitch, you know why your there, you know what you're supposed to do, you concentrate, and before you know it you have the ball in your hands, and a wicket is taken.

Much the same way, Touch Ledgering with practice happens, and catches you fish when other methods may not.