So you want to start carp fishing? Pt1

Rasmus Keis

Reaction score
heavy rods??

Nice article, but is it just me, or are the recommended TC's on the rods a bit on the heavy side? Is a 3 lb carp rod not a very heavy rod? Or is it the method (madness) that has made such rods popular?
I'm not an experienced carp angler, but I can't think of a single lake in Denmark, where I would be needing anything above 2,75. Is it because I don't fish extreme distances or...??

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A lot of it is fashion Rasmus.
When I started carp fishing a heavy rod was 2.5lb. Today, long distance casting demands the heavier rods. Fortunately they are not the broom handles they once were. Today, any rod rated below 2.25lb seems to be considered a barbel rod with carp rods starting at 2.5lb.

noknot

Reaction score
I don't think Ian is recomending the use of high TC rods, just a general guide to water types/TC and casting weights.

One thing though Ian, in your opinion, why are the TC used today heavier than a few years ago? As Geoff has correctly stated, a 2.75lbs TC rod was a powerful tool 20 years ago. I still prefere to use the lightest TC for the right situation in hand, and will use a higher TC for range work. Thats just my preference, but today, many Carp rods "start" at 2.5lbs TC, why is this?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Good point noknot.

Is it also worth considering the vagueries of the manufacturer's and their labels? E.g. I bought two 1.75lb tc wychwood barbels rods, which I really wanted for lighter carp fishing. I've never been attracted to distance casting and generally fish close... Anyway, the test curve and feel of these seemed to be identical to the 2.5lb tc rods I'd previously been using.

I frequently fish now with 1.25lb tc rods for carp and have caught fish well in to upper double figures with no trouble at all. It does suprise me too that "proper" carp rods only seem to start from 2.5lb?

Rasmus Keis

Reaction score
Sorry if I have made some language error, but my point was exactly as stated by Noknot.

I think the point mentioned by Jim is very interesting. We see the same thing with fly rods, where some fast taper 5 weights sometimes handles same lines as older 8 weight rods. There are no standard for fly rods, but aren´t the TC on carp rods measured the same way? Or how much do stated TC differ from the one stated on the rods?

noknot

Reaction score
Sorry if I have made some language error, but my point was exactly as stated by Noknot.

I think the point mentioned by Jim is very interesting. We see the same thing with fly rods, where some fast taper 5 weights sometimes handles same lines as older 8 weight rods. There are no standard for fly rods, but aren´t the TC on carp rods measured the same way? Or how much do stated TC differ from the one stated on the rods?

Hi Rasmus,

The stated TC of a rod should be the same, eg: Two different makes of rods with the same TC should be "similar" This is where the "action" of the rod comes into play as Ian has stated. I think that today the TC rating is only a guide to the rods power, ie: 1.25 is light, 2.25 is medium and a 3.25 is a heavy rod, it is really the action+TC which tells us what the rod is designed for, hope this helps.

NoKnot.

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

I frequently fish now with 1.25lb tc rods for carp and have caught fish well in to upper double figures with no trouble at all. It does suprise me too that "proper" carp rods only seem to start from 2.5lb?

My UK PB Mirror was caught using a 1.25lbs TC from a very weedy water at 40 yrd's range, as you stated, with no trouble at all, that was a 30+ Makes you think don't it?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I guess a lot of it comes down to application, obviously you can't get a cast much over 50 yards (with any accuracy) with a lighter rod.

And a big method feeder or larger PVA bag is also out.

Using the lighter rods, I'll tend to use a small lead (as small as 0.5oz sometimes) and a small PVA mesh bag wit ha few pellets. I've seen lots written about the better hooking properties of a 3oz lead, but to be honest its a sacrifice I can make in order to enjoy the fish I catch more.

One thing I will still use is a reasonably heavy line, say 10 or 12 lb b.s.. I think people who've never felt the cork on the handle start to move are missing something!

That said, if I has more time to fish than I do, I'd want to have a crack at larger waters and get better at fishing at distance. I know for a fact that the light rods would be pretty useless in those circumstances.

(Didn't Walker and Yates both use lighter rods to catch their record carp?)

noknot

Reaction score
Yes indeed they did Jim,

As I stated in a previous post, I try to use the right tools for the job in hand, and yes feeling the rod bending under the reel seat is awesome and to me what it is all about!;)

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Noknot sorry for the delay in getting back to you . I can only guess that as people start to use PVA bags and method feeders aswell as the invent of the big pit reel making hitting those far distant spots easier the test curve of carp rods has got higher and higher.
I could all be just market driven trends but I am sure with the better application of carbon composites in modern carp rods the actions of the rods we all enjoy in modern rods with plenty of csting power , with a great deal of feel through the rod when playing a carp under the rod tip was unheard of in the old day of Gerry Savage split but fiberglass 11' carp rods.
My all time favorite rod still is the original Century NG in 3.5lb Tc now this is a soft actioned players rod all day long. However compare it to some of the modern 3.5Tc rods I have used which are like broom sticks the difference betweeen the two rods is huge.
Try and use a rod as light as possible for the application and enjoy the fight of the fish and dont rush the fish in and potentially tear the fishes mouth.
Ian G

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Ian,

I enjoyed your Article, as an informative read, and a great starting guide for those new to the Carp fishing Scene.

If like myself when i started Carp Fishing i didn't realy have anyone to advise me which Rods to buy to suit the venues and fish i was targeting, how would a Novice or New Carp Angler differentuate the different Actions of a Rod other than just relying on what the Store Salesman tells you.

Sorry, that all sounded a bit muddled when i read it back to myself.

What i mean to say is -: Is there an easy way to tell the Action of a Rod before you purchase it ??

Also, you mentioned the Landing Net requirements starting at 42" and being of a Fine Mesh to help prevent Fin Damage, i did however notice that you didn't mention the Handle t go along with it. Yes, i know a lot of Handles come with the Nets when you Purchase them, but, i have seen Carp Anglers using all sorts of Handles and some which are just not suitable for the job in hand.

Also, Landing Nets again, sorry for this, i used to have a Nightmare getting the Arms of my Landing Nets out of the Spreader Block, this is due to the Splay of the arms once they are locked in to the Angle of their Bend, what can be done to make this easier and quicker, what was i doing wrong ??