The Acquired Arte of Worme Getteing

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Thanks for a very well-considered article - indeed, it is an art. I must admit I wasn't aware that the lobs would emerge on cold evenings, so I've learned something. I must give it a go.

But just a couple of things that have helped me in my worm grabbing; I don't wear gloves - that's just a personal preference, but I think it vhelps me gauge how much of a squeeze I'm giving them.

And I also have a kid's seaside bucket, a really small one, which I fill with gardener's silver sand and then attach with a loop of string, via the bucket handle, to my belt. If my hand gets a bit slimy, I just dip it in the sand to re-establish my grip.

I agree totally with the storage methods you suggest; moss, which can be gathered in any shady woodland area.

richiekelly

Reaction score
many years ago i was collecting worms at my local park in the early hours of the morning when a voice from behind me asked what do you think you are doing, i turned round to find the local copper standing behind me, when i told him that i was catching worms he told me not to be so cheeky (i was only about 12 years old ) he was amazed when i showed him the lobworms lying on the grass as he was when he saw how fast a worm can get back into its hole i never had any bother from him again although i collected worms in that park for years.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I used to collect loads of lobs of the cricket pitches, especially when they were sanded and fed. I'd notice there were loads on the surface whilst taking the dog for a walk and if I wanted any, I'd take a bait box.

My method, was to pick a worm that was almost all teh way out of its hole and put my foot right up against the hole so the worm couldn't retract. It was then just a matter of holding on until the worm gave in.

The spaniel I had, Flynn, was almost as good, but he'd use his teeth and sometimes, sadly, the worm would split. He loved trying though.

And hour's work could give me over 100 worms on a good night.