Review of the MHS hook sharpener

Steve2020

Reaction score
I've been after one of these for a while but wasn't going to pay big money for what is essentially a nail file.
This one at £3.99 is a fraction of the price of many others out there.

https://youtu.be/we-JRIx1sOg

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Steve2020

Reaction score
So what do you think of it then Steve?
I'm no expert at sharpening hooks but it certainly gets them sharp enough for me. I'm not one for following trends or brands for the sake of it so I'm always on the look out for something that's of good quality for a reasonable price regardless of who has put their name to it.
Do you use one, if so what grit do you tend to go for, I'm guessing the one in the video is around 600

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I use the Gardner rubber type thing so I've no idea what grading it is but looks quite fine to me.

I use it very sparingly (read as hardly ever) as I tend to be clumsy with such things - didn't know if a nail file type sharpener would be better for me, but I do have confidence with hooks straight out of their packets.

robtherake

Reaction score
This is little different to a number of cheap sharpeners out there. Mine are Stanley, I think, and they have a blue handle rather than plain ally, but are essentially the same device: a shaped diamond file with a flat side and a groove running down the length of the round side, and with a knurled handle and fitted pocket-clip. I keep one in my lure bag and the other in with my regular kit and they do a good job on the odd occasion that they're needed.

It does make you wonder how much better the JAG sharpeners are, all things considered. I'm pretty sure mine were £1.99 from either Boyes or Yorkshire Trading Co.

Steve2020

Reaction score
This is little different to a number of cheap sharpeners out there. Mine are Stanley, I think, and they have a blue handle rather than plain ally, but are essentially the same device: a shaped diamond file with a flat side and a groove running down the length of the round side, and with a knurled handle and fitted pocket-clip. I keep one in my lure bag and the other in with my regular kit and they do a good job on the odd occasion that they're needed.

It does make you wonder how much better the JAG sharpeners are, all things considered. I'm pretty sure mine were £1.99 from either Boyes or Yorkshire Trading Co.
I had the same thought about the jag products, they must be good but how much better than the good cheaper products are they?