shimano st 6000 ra vs shimano aero

adam11

Reaction score
As mentioned in my last post I'm looking to buy a new reel, I've decided to stick with Shimano.
Can any of you tell me how the 2 models of reel in the heading compare, if I were to buy the ST RA it would be new or would I end up with a better quality reel by buying a second hand Aero and having it serviced by the Welsh Shimano approved company, the cost would work out around the same give or take a few quid so are both viable options

Cheers

Adam

sam vimes

Reaction score
"Shimano Aero" is too vague to give any real advice on. There are dozens of variations, brand new and going back many years, of reels that have had Aero in their name. I suspect that you must be talking about a Baitrunner, but even then there are variations of Baitrunner Aero models and sizes (GT, GTM, GTE-A, GTE-B, GTE-C, 3000, 4000, 5010, 5000, 6000, 8000, 10000 etc, etc.

Be very wary of well used older Shimano reels from the eighties and nineties. Even Felindre don't have spares and service parts for everything. You can't be sure that buying a pup for peanuts and sending it to Felindre will end up with you having a good reel.

It has also might be worth stating what the intended use is going to be.