Budget Rod for Stick Float

lookabaa

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to get a dedicated rod for stick float fishing but am currently skint so could anybody recommend a budget rod that's any good?

aebitim

Reaction score
Hi and welcome aboard,
Not sure what your budget is or where your fishing but would recomend the Shakespear mach 3, the 14 ft can be found at £60 ish, sometimes cheaper on E bay

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

lookabaa

Reaction score
My budget is under £50 at the moment. I basically went out on the Trent yesterday after 12+ years and my Dad had sold our old stick rod so I used an old Daiwa match rod that was my brothers and found it to be too heavy and clunky with out of line rings and the reel holders were loose.

This mean that my arm aches and my hand aches from holding the reel from slipping.

I planned on getting a Drennan Matchpro Ultralite when I have some money but fancied getting something cheap until then to save on strain.

I thought that any cheap rod made nowdays would probably be better than the 80's rod I used yesterday that wasn't a good one even then.

aebitim

Reaction score
My budget is under £50 at the moment. I basically went out on the Trent yesterday after 12+ years and my Dad had sold our old stick rod so I used an old Daiwa match rod that was my brothers and found it to be too heavy and clunky with out of line rings and the reel holders were loose.

This mean that my arm aches and my hand aches from holding the reel from slipping.

I planned on getting a Drennan Matchpro Ultralite when I have some money but fancied getting something cheap until then to save on strain.

I thought that any cheap rod made nowdays would probably be better than the 80's rod I used yesterday that wasn't a good one even then.

Again dont dismiss the shakey and keep your eye on E bay, I have several high end stick rods daiwa shimano etc and the shakey is ok. Great blank cheap rings and reelseat though. I was very disapointed with the matchpro ultralight and sold it on very quickly.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Whichever rod you end up chosing there are a couple of points worth remembering:

1. It is lot easier to trot a float if the rod has High Bell's Stand-Off rings than one that has the rings closer to the blank

2. A decent stick float rod would have a sliced-in tip as opposed to the more readily available waggler rods that have a hollow tip. The reason for this is to give extra softer action on the strike so as to avoid breaking weak hook lengths, often 12 ounce or one pound.
( I have probably had more discussions on this point that any other in my 11 years here on FM [wink])

3. But least important is to try to get a model with not too long a handle remembering that you can always chop an inch or tree off yourself.
I like to be b able to mover the rod around from side to side easily especially when playing bigger fish.

theartist

Reaction score

Don't discount old rods as a lot are quality and a good 'old un' is better than a cheap modern chinese jobby that's for sure.

Also with slipping reel grips i good trick is to use electrical tape on the bottom grip as that's the one that tends to slip most. You can keep it taped up and slide the reel in by moving the top grip which, if it comes loose whilst fishing you should be able to tell quickly as that's where your hand will be anyway.

I've got many more years out of my old Sundridge as i would have otherwise

aebitim

Reaction score
Whichever rod you end up chosing there are a couple of points worth remembering:

1. It is lot easier to trot a float if the rod has High Bell's Stand-Off rings than one that has the rings closer to the blank

2. A decent stick float rod would have a sliced-in tip as opposed to the more readily available waggler rods that have a hollow tip. The reason for this is to give extra softer action on the strike so as to avoid breaking weak hook lengths, often 12 ounce or one pound.
( I have probably had more discussions on this point that any other in my 11 years here on FM [wink])

3. But least important is to try to get a model with not too long a handle remembering that you can always chop an inch or tree off yourself.
I like to be b able to mover the rod around from side to side easily especially when playing bigger fish.

Hi,
Cant agree with you more about splice tips etc with the possible exception of Normarks, however decent splice rods are not going to turn up for £50 very often. At present some of my stick fishing is done in jungle terain and I am fed up with busting expensive rod tips. The Shakey is ok, nowhere near as good as some of the more expensive rods but far better than its price suggest which is why I recomended it.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Completely respect the opinion but I found the Drennan Matchpro to be a class piece of kit.

Good luck with the search, hope it goes well for you.