Canal Kit

aebitim

Reaction score
Likely to be fishing the Monmouth and Brecon canal a fair bit in the future, I have very little experience of canals so shouting for advice.
I have a light bomb/feeder rod, a 12ft splice tip map [ancient] light float rod and a 6mtre whip to get me going, the question is should I consider a pole and if so which one.
I have little experience [none] of pole fishing, a mate has spent £800 which is too much for me, but its a really nice light pole that tames carp easily. I would like a silvers pole, if there is such a thing.

£300 Budget but could go more if its the right thing to do, I would prefer to buy once and get it right first time. 13 mtres possibly, unlikely to expect to catch anything over 5lb, 3lb is more realistic.

Any help/thoughts gratefully recieved

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You should be ok with what you have. Light waggler or bomb for far shelf and whip for near shelf or down the track. Worth thinking about a pole, a £300
budget will get you a pole ok but then there are the additional costs of elastic, bushes, connectors, floats and of course a roller or 2. Roughly £15 per top kit and £50 odd per roller. Most poles fetch half their original price once used. Try and buy a decent second hand one which is already fitted with the accesories listed above.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You should be ok with what you have. Light waggler or bomb for far shelf and whip for near shelf or down the track. Worth thinking about a pole, a £300
budget will get you a pole ok but then there are the additional costs of elastic, bushes, connectors, floats and of course a roller or 2. Roughly £15 per top kit and £50 odd per roller. Most poles fetch half their original price once used. Try and buy a decent second hand one which is already fitted with the accesories listed above.

I would second that myself, go for a used pole but make sure you get to handle it and study all the sections first. Typically anglers will buy a pole and after a season or two want to upgrade so you can get soem deecent bargains and usually the top sections will be bushed and elasticated too.

As Peter says, that will save at least £15 per top section.

If it were me then I'd be looking at Preston or Sensas used poles aa those usually came with a decent top set kit.