scales dial vs digital

adam11

Reaction score
Come on then chaps, its time I put my hand in my pocket and bought a set of scales but would like to hear your views and preferences (with reasons) to the two different types of scale in the thread header and if you have a recommendation that too, not big budget stuff, lets say a ballpark figure of around £20-£25
cheers
Adam

B

binka

There are a few threads on scales but I would be interested to hear of anything new as I'm currently on the lookout again, I refuse to use my Reuben Heaton Flyweight MKII's anymore as they're so ridiculously difficult to zero and so inaccurate thereafter.

Although still in my bag I was fortunate enough to have a mate with me at the weekend who had his scales (can't remember the make) which are far easier to zero and much more accurate.

sam vimes

Reaction score
At that sort of price there isn't likely to be a great deal in it. Neither analogue nor digital scales are likely to be fantastically accurate. Regardless of budget, there are pros and cons of both types. Many won't touch digitals with a bargepole. The ever present doubts over accuracy due to a potentially dicey battery, catching something special only to find the battery is dead, temperature sensitivity etc. With dials, you've got the bulk that it usually takes to make decent ones.

At the money you are talking (unless you find something at a special price) there are a couple I'd consider, though you might have to add a bit. Both are Reuben Heatons.

RH 3000 Flyweights

RH 9000

My dislike of the Flyweights is well documented. However, plenty of folks still seem to swear by them.
The 9000s are probably a bit too far over budget for a direct competitor. I'm also aware that some folks have complained about dodgy sets. However, for their simplicity, reported accuracy and size, they'll be my next longer term scales purchase (unless they are discontinued or something better comes along in the mean time). My faith in digitals is quite strong after owning an alternatively branded variation of the 7000 series scales for about five years without incident.