Fixed spool reel for trotting

fatfewl

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am after a fixed spool spool (open face) reel for trotting to pair up with my newly purchased Drennan matchpro Ultralight 13ft float rod. Please no suggestions for a centerpin reel or closed face reel. my budget is no more than £55.

Up until now I have been using a Drennan Red Range Float 6-30 which I love due to the shallow spoon, little notch for the knot, quick folding arm and thick bale. The reason I want to change is because I find the reel a little on the heavy side which is fair enough at its price. I was also hoping for something a little more compact.

I love the wide shallow spool not only because it takes the right amount of line but the line seems to peel off just perfectly while trotting a float through.

I have a few ideas my first choice being the Drennan 300FD reel seeing as it is everything the Red Range Float 6-30 reel is plus a little more compact and lighter. The problem is I don't know its exact weight and was hoping if someone here could tell me? Also I am not too sure about the apparent silent drag. I have seen mixed reviews on them and for me it comes down to the weight.

My second ideas is MAP ACS 3000FD Reel which is very simulator but again I have been unable to find the reels weight.

Lastly Shimano Exage which is a nice weight and has great reviews but lacks the shallow spool which I just love.

If anyone could tell me the weight of the Drennan FD300 I would be most grateful. Also is the Shimano Exage 1000 suitable for trotting or should I go with the 2500 version (if I choose to go for that reel)?

What are you guys using?

Thanks a lot for your help.

greenie62

Reaction score
Take your current rod & reel down to your friendly local tackle shop and try out the target reels on your rod, swap back to the current reel for comparison, then back again to the 'possibles' and make your decision that way!
It's the only way, short of fishing with them, to find what feels right with your rod!
Good luck & Tight Lines!

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Exage model with the shallow spool is the 3000MHS. The line capacity of the 1000 and 2500 is far greater.
EXAGE RC

I know that others will disagree, but I wouldn't choose a standard Shimano 1000, 2000 or 2500 sized reel for any general coarse work. Relatively small diameter spools mean mono peels off in coils that are too small for my liking. 3000/4000 are better for me, even if that does mean an increase in weight. I consider the 45g difference between the 1000RC and 3000SRC to be neither here nor there. However, there is another 35g increase to the 3000MHSRC (the version with shallow match spools), still not enough to put me off. I can happily hold a rod all day with reels heavier than that.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general-fishing/274976-tiny-little-reels.html

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
Recently bought an fd 4000 as I had forgotten a reel and it was the only choice, wasnt hugely impressed in the shop but it faired better on the river, good drag, loads of spools nice and smooth, decent line lay let down a bit by the folding handle which is a bit floppy. Had a good look at the Shimano range recently and felt that the quality wasnt what it was, went for a daiwa in the end. I have been using a pxr 3000 for the last three years and it has done well, they come up on ebay for £40 or so.

fatfewl

Reaction score
I know that others will disagree, but I wouldn't choose a standard Shimano 1000, 2000 or 2500 sized reel for any general coarse work. Relatively small diameter spools mean mono peels off in coils that are too small for my liking.

Yes this is exactly what I was afraid of and why I like the wide spools Drennan offers. Line peels off so nice and smoothly helped I think by the shallowness as well.

Again if anyone has a Drennan FD3000, if they could weight it for me I would be most grateful!

theartist

Reaction score
I feel it's worth pointing out that rear drag reels are better for floatfishing if like me you get the odd line round the back issue now and again. More reels are going front drag it seems and whilst the little Okuma i got feels good it is a nightmare when you have to unscrew the whole spool just to do a quick untangle then screw it all back on losing your drag setting from before. I would avoid any reel that a spool cant be taken off and put on in one movement.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The 2500 shimano would be my choice.

fatfewl

Reaction score
I feel it's worth pointing out that rear drag reels are better for floatfishing if like me you get the odd line round the back issue now and again. More reels are going front drag it seems and whilst the little Okuma i got feels good it is a nightmare when you have to unscrew the whole spool just to do a quick untangle then screw it all back on losing your drag setting from before. I would avoid any reel that a spool cant be taken off and put on in one movement.

Interesting point. Thanks for bringing it up it’s not something I had thought of. I have experienced this a few times although not often enough to consider it a problem. The quick release spool system of rear drags certainly is useful.

I have heard that the drag system in front drags is generally superior to rear drags. That being said I would keep my red series if it was lighter.

Streamfisher

Reaction score
I have the Greys GFS30 which I think is the same reel as the Drennan FD, it weighs 278 grams.

SF

ken more

Reaction score
Yes this is exactly what I was afraid of and why I like the wide spools Drennan offers. Line peels off so nice and smoothly helped I think by the shallowness as well.

Again if anyone has a Drennan FD3000, if they could weight it for me I would be most grateful!

Hi mate, have you tried google for the weights of the reels you are interested in?