What's this reel

sam vimes

Reaction score
The video was posted in 2010, so it's not going to be a current reel. It's a little difficult to tell from the video, but little things suggest to me that it's a Shimano (line clip, plastic looking and the shape, general shape of the reel and the reel handle shape). Shimano haven't made a match sized front drag reel with the anti-reverse lever on the back of the body for quite a few years now.

However, as I try to watch the video really closely, I see a couple of hints that it might be a Daiwa. There's a hint that there may be a quick fold handle release button and the bail arm appears a bit thicker than most Shimano reels of that size.

There's always the possibility that in neither Daiwa or Shimano. The video is really not clear enough to be sure.

To me, it looks quite like a Shimano Technium MgS from a few years back.

I suspect that, realistically, you are going to have to ask the fella concerned. It does look like he might answer questions that Youtube users have posed him.

Keith M

Reaction score
I may be mistaken as it's hard to see closely; but it might be the Drennan FD3000 (or the Grey's equivalent which looks exactly like the Drennan reel with a different logo & colour.

Keith

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I may be mistaken as it's hard to see closely; but it might be the Drennan FD3000 (or the Grey's equivalent which looks exactly like the Drennan reel with a different logo & colour.

Keith

Keith,
was the Drennan available in 2010 or before? I know that the Greys version wasn't.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Russ Evans was the tackle shop manager at the fishery shop. He sold me a rod identical to the one in the clip (Drennan Floatmaster) I believe he moved to Tackle Fanatics.

He was a really helpful guy and I am sure he would help you out. Why are you particularly interested in that reel? I bought a reel earlier this year from Tackle Fanatics, it was a Shimano Twin Power C14 SRA and it is a terrific reel for float fishing, if a little quirky.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score