Drennan or Preston ?

neal webb

Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm in the market for a new float rod, needed mainly for Stillwater Chub fishing on the wag.
Needs to be light and sensitive but with a progressive action for when the unavoidable carp are hooked. 13ft and fished with 6lb mainline and lighter bottoms.
I've fished with a friends Preston Innovations Carbon active 13ft superfloat and its superb...probably the best float rod I've ever used. I was absolutely set on buying one of these when my attention was drawn to the Drennan Acolyte plus 13ft.
I haven't used one of these but have a love of Drennan products and own several of their superb rods.
Both Rods are around the same price but I'm stuck in a quandary as to which to go for...stick with the original idea of a Preston Rod, the original model has been upgraded by the absolute superfloat, which I have used and it was a lovely action perfect for its intended use...or go for the Drennan which I haven't used but have read all the reviews and its rated as a top product ?
Does anybody own either of these Rods and could you please give me some guidance.
Thanks. Neal.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Hi Neal
I've got Preston float rod and agree that it's a great rod

unless you get to use the Drennan, then personally I'd go with what you know - the Preston rod you've used and are happy with

sam vimes

Reaction score
If they are the rods you've narrowed your potential buys down to, go and have a waggle at a local tackle emporium. There's a good chance that one will feel better than the other to you. If you can't tell the difference, pick the one that looks nicer, is at the best price or the brand you have greater faith in. Someone else making the same comparison might come to a different conclusion, but that doesn't make your choice wrong. Personal preference plays a big part in rod choices. I know that rods I love will be thought to be total rubbish by others. It doesn't much matter what they think, I'm the one using them.

I would suggest that you do not buy the new version of the Preston rod without having a look and feel first. There are no guarantees that it'll be the same as the previous rod you enjoyed using. There's also a reasonable chance of the Drennan suiting you better, especially as you are already a fan of their rods.

neal webb

Reaction score
Thanks
Sam I was slightly concerned about the upgraded version of the Preston Rod being a slightly different action. So much so that I contacted Preston as to any difference.
The answer was not very satisfactory and they suggested I go to a dealer and try the new one.....no pointers whatsoever as to any changes in action or feel...you'd expect them to know really !

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks
Sam I was slightly concerned about the upgraded version of the Preston Rod being a slightly different action. So much so that I contacted Preston as to any difference.
The answer was not very satisfactory and they suggested I go to a dealer and try the new one.....no pointers whatsoever as to any changes in action or feel...you'd expect them to know really !

You would expect them to have some clue, but I'm not overly surprised that they don't. Even when a rod is produced on the same mandrel, a change in the quality of the carbon cloth, resin levels, ring spacing, the quality of the fittings, etc can have an impact on the action and feel of the rod in hand. Even if Preston had said it was nothing more than a cosmetic change, which it could be, I'd advise caution if buying blind.

It may have sounded wishy washy, but they've actually given reasonable advice. It would have been far easier for them to have told you it was exactly the same to get a quick, easy sale.

Watch out for the prices you have in mind. You should be able to pick up the Preston for a fair lump less than the Drennan.
http://www.tacklefanatics.co.uk/product/8377/preston-absolute-float-float-rod.html?cat=203&priceto=500&pricefrom=0&yearto=9999&yearfrom=0&mfr=PN

Last edited:

neal webb

Reaction score
Thanks Sam...those tackle fanatics prices are pretty good...RRP is around the £180 mark.

jimlad

Reaction score
I do hear very good opinions of the Preston float rods. You can be assured that you will obtain a good product from you possible selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk