Any advance on the Korum 50" brolly?

B

binka

Following the catastrophic end earlier today of my Korum 50" brolly (as posted in Simon's on going thread) I'm just asking around for any other recommendations for a 50" brolly?

The demise of the above is by no way a reflection on the product which has been excellent really, I just used it in some insane conditions.

I quite like the look of the Daiwa Mission, I think the tilt might be more versatile than the Korum where you have to completely remove the centre pole and relocate it in a fixed tilt position but possibly at the expense of not being able to tuck yourself as far under...

Daiwa Mission Brolly

Does anyone have the Daiwa or can you recommend any others in the heavy duty department?

Thanks in advance...

sumtime

Reaction score
As long as you use 3ft nails through your boots, binka, this should keep the rain off yer head. :)

images

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

I've had my Waterline fibrelite 50" for years, used it on just a few windy days, pegged down well I haven't had a problem with it and lighter than a lot of other brollies.

Last edited:
B

binka

I thought this looked interesting, I don't fish the pole these days but like to have my landing net overhanging the water at my feet when fishing the waggler on stillwaters which sometimes caused a problem with the length of the handle on the back of the brolly which this would address...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnujG7HE67k

I reckon I might be hard pushed to find one now though and I don't like the writing on it (tart!).

It's looking like another Korum in all fairness, I think i'll try the fibreglass framed version this time... I'm not interested in the weight saving but it's supposed to be even stronger and one thing I did notice on my old one is that the steel spokes bent under heavy load so I'm thinking that fibreglass will at least return to its original straightness after flexing, unlike the steel.

Anyone got the fibreglass version and have any thoughts on it?

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that I've scavenged and saved as much as I can off the wrecked brolly in case the need arises for spares or repairs to the next one, this includes a large section of the nylon cover so if anyone needs any for patching or repair then drop me a pm with the approximate size required and i'll post you some out.

Last edited:
B

binka

Well it's a done deal, I went for the 50" Korum again but this time with the fibreglass frame which is what I originally wanted when I bought the first except they didn't have any at the time.

Only thing i'll say is that if you use it with the Fox type plastic or nylon (?) storm pole adaptors you will have to drill out the spoke hole in the adaptor a couple of millimetres more due to the figreglass spokes being thicker in diameter, it's doable but there ain't a lot of leeway hence the length of kitchen roll around the end of me finger after the drill slipped :eek:mg:

Nice to be able to buy something out of sheer necessity and avoid the guilt trip, dunno how I'm gonna explain the new quiver :wh :wh :wh

B

binka

Ahhhh, but does it cover your breakfast lay-out, Steve?? :wh:eek:mg: :D

Strangely enough Phil I've literally just completed the purchase of a larger frying pan :)

And... with a clip under handle unlike those two excuses on my existing one that fold around the pan and have to be held together because they annoyingly drift apart at every opportunity, I've had many a close call with a flying sausage but I reckon the new one will be good for a six rasher load easily.

Pictures WILL come, might even include an egg :D