Maver Auto-clasp rod rest head.

robtherake

Reaction score

There have been any number of rear rod rests designed to prevent your gear taking a swim; most rely on friction, causing a degree of difficulty extracting the rod butt from their clutches.

This offering from Maver - as can be seen in the above pic - takes a different tack. Part of the ring falls to one side when the rod's lifted, ensuring a friction-free departure, but if the pull is from a horizontal direction (i.e. from a bolting fish) the rod butt jams in the ring, impeding any forward progress.

They seem to work perfectly and at a fiver each they're a lot cheaper than a new rod and reel :) Longevity remains to be seen, but the construction seems sturdy enough. Well worth a punt.

Here it is in action: Maver Match : Videos - Auto-clasp Rod Rest

greenie62

Reaction score
...They seem to work perfectly and at a fiver each they're a lot cheaper than a new rod and reel :) Longevity remains to be seen, but the construction seems sturdy enough. Well worth a punt...

Seems like a good idea - but a word of caution - if you use one on a pod you could end-up losing that as well! :eek::rolleyes::eek:mg:

sam vimes

Reaction score
This kind of locking rear rod rest have been around for a while on the carp side of the market. However, you don't seem to see them on the banks too often.

This is the second generation of the Nash take on it. Something I've been looking at, but never bought, for the best part of five years.

robtherake

Reaction score
Seems like a good idea - but a word of caution - if you use one on a pod you could end-up losing that as well! :eek::rolleyes::eek:mg:

I use single stainless sticks for the most part, with a matching bankstick stabiliser (£2.99 at Boyes - fits Solar metalware, too!) which gives a pretty solid connection to terra firma on most banks. Longer sticks are Dinsmore screw-ins.

Funnily enough, while we were away in bonny Lincolnshire, I witnessed a fella who appeared to be spinning with carp gear. A quick chat revealed that he was fishing for his other rod, recently pulled in. He got it, too, complete with an 18 pounder still attached to the barbless hook - jammy so and so! It was this that got me thinking about more user-friendly replacements for the Fox rear rests that I've always used - they've got a grip like a gorilla - and when I saw these in the local tackle shop... We fitted one to a bankstick, there and then, and conducted a dry run using a rod from the nearest rack. It was impossible to remove the rod when it was pulled in a forwards direction and, in addition, the rod went in and came out clean as a whistle when picked up normally. I haven't had them on the bank yet but it looks from the demo like they'll perform faultlessly in use.