Hemp - without the shell!

laguna

Reaction score
Right lads can't say I've tried this yet being a tight Yorkie an all.... but I've been thinking of saving some pennies and giving it a go! :D

Expensive stuff de-hulled hemp (hemp without the shell), available mainly from health shops, Holland and Barrett and the like and probably not something most anglers have thought about, but I reckon as a bait its every bit as good... if not better!

Here's a few pros and cons I can think of to help you decide...

Advantages:
No need to prepare, use straight from the bag
Its the same colour when used in conjunction with liccy bread and falls to settle on the bottom
Falls slower, more enticingly for on the drop feeding
Being white, dehulled hemp stands out and contrasts much better on the bottom than dark seed
It has all the same (if not better) attractive properties, oils and nutrients as its counterpart
A non-heating mechanical process is used to dehull the tough outer shell of the seed
Easier to roll if adding to a base mix for boilies
Higher oil and nutrient leak-off
Fish will spend more time in the feeding area than time spent chomping down on the tough outer shell of hemp husk
Easier to digest

Disadvantages:
Expensive
Fills them up quicker
Loss of fibre mineral content of the shell

The expense deters me, but I suppose when used with liccy bread and punch on the hook, you probably only need a half cup full adding for a short session, with the advantage of time saved not having to soak and boil to split the kernel.

Oh and if you think fish are only accustomed to the dark seed? you can always dye it if you want - soak in tea or something?

hemp.jpg

... it might be worth a go?

*Dehulled hemp seed is best preserved in the refrigerator or freezer in a dark airtight container. It can be kept indefinitely in the freezer and used directly as needed. Refrigerated, it is good for up to 12 months.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A cheaper alternative is to liquidise boiled hemp in a blender. The husks get blitzed too. I have used it it conjunction with liquy bread or on its own.
Best used sparingly as it's quite filling and can also be frozen.

laguna

Reaction score
Not tried it Mark have you?
I reckon it would work very well as a Glug, even wetting down groundbaits, hydrating boilies, pellet dip etc. Lots of potential there.
Don't think it keeps for long though so you might have to freeze it?

I've made some to drink using our juicer and its very tasty stuff! :w

laguna

Reaction score
The taste is possibly the traces left after your slug experiments! :eek::puke::D
God what a puker that was lol

---------- Post added at 10:08 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

A cheaper alternative is to liquidise boiled hemp in a blender. The husks get blitzed too. I have used it it conjunction with liquy bread or on its own.
Best used sparingly as it's quite filling and can also be frozen.

Ive used crushed hemp and can say for certain it helped catch more than my normal share but found some of it floats. er... wonder if the de-hulled hemp floats? hope not :confused:

someone will know...

lambert1

Reaction score
Not tried it Mark have you?
I reckon it would work very well as a Glug, even wetting down groundbaits, hydrating boilies, pellet dip etc. Lots of potential there.
Don't think it keeps for long though so you might have to freeze it?

I've made some to drink using our juicer and its very tasty stuff! :w

No Chris I have not as yet, but I am sure I read somewhere that Carpers do for a cloud effect. Even Tesco stocks it now, so I might have a go.

laguna

Reaction score
No Chris I have not as yet, but I am sure I read somewhere that Carpers do for a cloud effect. Even Tesco stocks it now, so I might have a go.
I think it would work for all species to be honest, please keep us posted.

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Good god think I need new glasses mate..... Just looked online.. Tesco Good hemp milk @ £1.50 per Litre proper Yorkshire price that might have a go mesen! :D

Morrisons £1.44

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Well I shelled out (see what I did there?) for the Good Hemp milk at £1.44 from Morrisons, or rather the missus did :D

22565.jpg

Poured some in a glass and it was, er sort of okay but nothing like my own home-made with the Green Star juicer (one of these)
day-in-the-life-003.jpg

That thing is a beast!

For a start it was watery and I thought it tasted of vanilla so I looked on the label. It turns out it only has 3% hemp milk in there, the rest is water, vanilla and a bunch of other stuff like grape juice and seasalt.

Probably okay for roach if you want to give it a try?

Ill probably stick to making my own concentrated hemp milk for now and try some dehulled hemp on a little lake I know next year. ;)