Mealworms

laguna

Reaction score
I'm doing an experiment with Mealworms bought from a pet store. I'm just waiting on the second generation and will be feeding them almost exclusively on expanded polystyrene.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I'm doing an experiment with Mealworms bought from a pet store. I'm just waiting on the second generation and will be feeding them almost exclusively on expanded polystyrene.

Will that make them easier to send in the post........?;)

wanderer

Reaction score
Interesting project Chris, have you had any success on the dried ones, i have often been tempted.

laguna

Reaction score
No never tried them dry for fishing only for feeding birds. I have only fed live to tank fish and they love em, but as I say you don't get many for your bucks so maybe that's why they're not so popular?

Anyway I bought a small starter for about £3 a couple of weeks ago and have 6 beetles that have hatched so far which I have separated out along with the pupa. I'll post pics of my setup over the next few weeks in the hope that others may benefit from the experience.

laguna

Reaction score
Update.

1. Worms have shed skin a couple of times and pupated over 2-3 weeks with a handful of fatalities (normal)
2. Light brown newly hatched beatles quickly matured and turned dark brown after a few days, again few fatalities (normal)
3. and shagged... as evidenced by thousands of 'dots' all over their container and carrot
4. most of the beatles have died after mating (normal)

We now have literally thousands of tiny babies all over the place that can climb vertical surfaces and escape!!!

When I say tiny, I mean really small... possibly could fit a couple of hundred on a pin head.

Anyway once I work out how to contain em, this batch of baby worms will be fed expanded polystyrene and a carrot placed into their container for moisture.

Apparently they like dry food to eat (people normally feed wheat and stuff) but they're only getting polystyrene plus the odd dead parent to eat.

Pretty much maintenance free at the moment but I can see things progressing fairly quickly from now on.

I'll update with pics in about a weeks time once I work out how to contain the babies.

Last edited: