Hemp - boil or no boil whole or crushed?

chrissh

Reaction score
Boiled hemp all the time for me … I boil my own hemp and keep the water in a plastic bottle to take with me and use it to mix my ground bait

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For the hook or loose feed then for me it is always boiled.

If to be added to a ground bait then I lay it on a large baking tray and grill it in the oven.

Allow it to cool and then "wizz" it up in the food mixer ¹

That way you keep and release all the attractive oils contained in the seeds.

Note ¹ assuming one knows how to use said "wizzer" of course ;)

laguna

Reaction score
How do you crush it Chris?
I use a 5 ton bottle jack mounted in a frame Andy.

For the hook or loose feed then for me it is always boiled.

If to be added to a ground bait then I lay it on a large baking tray and grill it in the oven.

Allow it to cool and then "wizz" it up in the food mixer ¹

That way you keep and release all the attractive oils contained in the seeds.

Note ¹ assuming one knows how to use said "wizzer" of course ;)
Yeah absolutely Peter - its a wiz!
I love the smell of toasted hemp and remember the first time doing it in an open pan... pop corn has nothing on these fellas when they go! :D

thecrow

Reaction score
Boiled and whole every time, twice that I have purchased the larger hemp I have been unable to get it to split didn't seem to bother the fish but I have more confidence in it when it has split.

laguna

Reaction score
So do you have metal plates in the frame? How do you get the crushed hemp out? Any pictures?

No pics of that but its a simple setup. It consists of 2 threaded tube sections and a block of steel with a mesh in between. The block of steel jacks up inside the bottom tube full of particles which gets squeezed through the mesh into the top section. I just mount it on the cross member and it gets compressed up against the top of an engineers bench.

We had another way to produce bulk (5Kg) using our sand Muller mixer (substituting sand for particles) but the motor burned out. We originally used that for mulling over ground baits as well and for sand casting clays for some foundry work.

maxresdefault.jpg

sagalout

Reaction score
It consists of 2 threaded tube sections and a block of steel with a mesh in between. The block of steel jacks up inside the bottom tube full of particles which gets squeezed through the mesh into the top section. I just mount it on the cross member and it gets compressed up against the top of an engineers bench.
I am obviously being dense but I can't picture that.

laguna

Reaction score
I am obviously being dense but I can't picture that.
Okay again..
2 hollow tubes screwed together with steel mesh placed between them and a solid block of steel acting like a piston slides up inside the bottom tube section only.

The bottom tube is inverted and filled half way with hemp seed
The block of steel is placed inside
Then it is flipped over and placed on the bottle jack
The bottle jack is jacked up crushing the hemp and forcing it through the steel mesh into the top section of pipe.