Losses so far...

B

binka

Only a week into the new season and I'm already down a pair of forceps and, after today, a catapult which I had tucked into my belt loop shortly before wading into a river, never to be seen again.

The catapult that is, not me... You're not that lucky!

In mitigation I have been out rather a lot.

Add to that the fact that I went skidding down a steep bank today on my arris courtesy of freshly exposed mud after the recent high water, which ended up looking like a scene form the mud slide at Woodstock but with killer nettles, and things are well and truly resembling business as usual :eek:mg:

Anyone else down on anything yet?

dicky123

Reaction score
Love it what a great thread.

I call it the Void. Just today I dropped a small hook, spent maybe 10 minutes looking for it, but it was hopeless. With eyes now 65 years old, the void claims more 'stuff' each year.

This season current losses. Pair of magnifying glasses. A Guru pellet feeder. Pair of scissors. Cheese sandwich (but I think the dog had that while my back was turned) Split shot enough to sink a pellet waggler. Umbrella handle screw. Rod rest complete with head.

What else are tackle shops for?

Great thread again.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Having lost £400 worth last year, then losing another £200 worth 2 weeks ago which was luckily found and returned, I'm on a new level of awareness...

Til next time......

sam vimes

Reaction score
Anyone else down on anything yet?

I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to lose something. Deepest, darkest, Shropshire isn't a terrible part of the world, despite being a little to close to Wales for my liking. However, as every farm round here seems to have a pond and I have no gear, not that I have time to use it, it's starting to get on my wick. Roll on another period of voluntary unemployment!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Funny you should mention forceps Steve, a few weeks ago i was going to air them for the tiny tinca pics but couldn't find 'em so used the discorger instead. Haven't a clue where they've disappeared to (being a poor OAP I only had one set anyway - apart from the longer ones) but I'm saving up for another set for the new season...........

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've still not recoverd from the loss of a catapult last year that flipped out of my maggot bag and floated off down river, I actually tried to make my arm stretch like it was a rubber one but it didn't stretch long enough. I couldn't even try to walk after it as I was stood on and inbetween slippery boulders with the fast flowing water just below the top of my thigh waders. It was a little like that Tom Hanks film as Wilson floated away....fekcin awfull feeling! Lol.

flightliner

Reaction score
One korum size sixteen hook, dropped somewhere between my seat and a pee tree, put it on my knee , answered my mobile and duly forgot it was there.
one landing net head, not really lost but suddenly decides to give up the ghost with the brass screw thread wearing out so not able to tighten.

robtherake

Reaction score
A pair of Nash braid blades; an item which needs replacing thrice a year, on average. This one was left behind after an evening session because I was too lazy to get my head torch out of my top pocket. Most of them end up falling through platforms into inaccessible spaces where they can be clearly seen but never reached. :mad:

Last years daftest was a full tub of tungsten putty, which popped out of its awkward-to-open round tub and rolled (shaped like a giant polo mint) down my leg and up the ski slope that was my foot. An instinctive and uncoordinated kick intended to flick it backwards just added to the forward velocity and sent it beyond recovery. Baloop, and it was gone forever.:eek:mg:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
A whole tub of tungsten putty into the drink sounds like pollution to me and must surely qualify for a ' Polluter of the Year ' award......AND having kicked into the water, he then failed to go in after it !!

Who does he think he is, and England footballer ??

ps I often think boarded swims should have a trap door for easy access to lost item of tackle. To this day I cannot help but look at a lost float that managed to slip through a gap not much wider the float itself without touching the sides, some years ago. Grrrrrrr.

Last edited:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Found a rather nice Simms soft-wool hat in the long grass and at a place I rarely venture...why, it was just like my one indoors! Course, I got home and looked for my nice, Simms soft-wool hat................yes, you've got it!

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Surprisingly, I've lost a couple of floats :eek:mg:

Are we going to have a whip round to replace Jerry's forceps? I've got a couple of spare Euros ;)

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

All I've lost so far this year is the top 4 inches off two of my best rods

Didn't quite fit in the seatbox then S-Kip :D

dicky123

Reaction score
Mind were self inflicted, sadly Peter yours sound like they were thefts, I'm i right?

Richard.