Has anyone ever blown themselves up?

B

binka

Daft question eh?

Well, I came perilously close to doing just that today whilst frying some eggs and wondering why the hell they smelt of burnt rubber?

It was only the neoprene canister sleeve that had caught fire…

Why the hell manufacturers (Trakker in this instance with what was at the time their top of the range Titanium stove) use such a short hose I will never know!

Anyone for a bacon sarnie…

KABOOM! :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As far as i'm aware those hoses are just to keep the stove low to the ground when having a stroll on mount everest :).
I never could understand the need for those hoses on a fishing stove, I use a small coleman stove that screws on top of the canister and it's ok. I have some shallow gas bottles so these don't raise the stove up to high off the ground.

Steve, why do you have a parka on your gas bottle ? :D

Steve Ruff

Reaction score
I don't know ... why do you have a parka on a gas bottle ?

Is there a punch line ...?

PS ... It's Binka's bottle :0)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
My mate nearly set fire to himslfe once

He was using an old paraffin camping stove and he pumped the paraffin to get it lit , over did it and the flame that shot out was very impressive

sagalout

Reaction score
I have checked the Trakker site and in the small print it states "Not to be used without adult supervision and under no circumstances should it be considered safe for use by Binka"

robtherake

Reaction score
Not exactly, although the young lads in our village used to get up to all kinds of mischief. We once took a calor gas canister (the ones that come up to knee level) and roasted it on a fire in the local woods until it exploded. Everyone had either taken cover in the trees or retired to a "safe" distance, but nevertheless there were still a few kids with bits of their clothes smoking where they'd been hit with flying embers. Good job it was nearly empty, thinking back.:eek:

A less incendiary (but much more funny) incident happened when melting lead for sinkers. We made triangular leads by pouring the molten metal into the corner of the depression on the top of a house brick, tilted so it settled and cooled in the angle. One bright spark decided he would pee in the mould first. "To cool it down faster" he said. I nudged the lad next to me (we were three that day) and we slowly backed off, shaking with suppressed mirth. The explosion, when it came, was fairly minor, but the result was epic - the lad's top half was covered in chrome-bright balls of lead the size of dust shot, even his eyebrows got a dusting. It's something of a miracle that all of us survived to adulthood, given the rather dangerous nature of our "experiments.":D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you honestly think that I could bump into an egg and something actually dropped off me? :D

Well Steve, you did bust through an egg, and your tail did drop off, maybe just a bit left (your coccyx, that keeps brastin chairs) and you did balloon and it seems you've never got out of bumping into things since and breaking 'em in the process ;) :D.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Not exactly, although the young lads in our village used to get up to all kinds of mischief. We once took a calor gas canister (the ones that come up to knee level) and roasted it on a fire in the local woods until it exploded. Everyone had either taken cover in the trees or retired to a "safe" distance, but nevertheless there were still a few kids with bits of their clothes smoking where they'd been hit with flying embers. Good job it was nearly empty, thinking back.:eek:

We used to do that with gallon drums of petrol !