Closed Face Reel

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Much as I love my pins I wish I'd had a closed face with me yesterday on the LIF. I have 2 Swedish built 501's in the shed but Santa is pestering me so I thought I might try a new cf reel.

Any recommendations ?he latest incarnation of the 506 looks a bit plasticky and the 507 looks a bit big & heavy. I wish Id had a 706 when they were about..I liked the look and feel of those but put the one I nearly had back.

Normally I'd have no problem with a second hand reel but I'm not so keen about a 2nd hand cf reel for some reason.....and to buy a 2nd hand 506 when I;ve already got a 501 that I know works seems a bit daft.

Yes...I know. Get the 501 out but I'm trying to get Mrs S off my case & somehow wrapping up one of my old reels I dont think is going to work !

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I used my 40 year old 501 last Thursday trotting on the Colne and its still brilliant. A few years ago I bought a new 607 and it was carp. Sold it on eBay...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
It would bloody well want to be for 80 sovs, Steve ! I'm not paying that no matter how good it might be.

Might have to get in that shed after all. I know my 501 still works fine...I just fancied something shiny!

Last edited:

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

No expert but have used a few different makes over the last 40 years, from the likes of DAM, Shakespeare, ABU (506)and Daiwa (125m), I still have and use the 125m and its still a joy to use.

Paul

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Well....I've dived in and may live to regret it but I found a brand new Abu 506 mk II on the Bay for 30 English pounds delivered. It's not quite to my taste aesthetically but for that money versus a 30 year old second hand job that might well have had the bejasus knocked out of it I'm prepared to take a punt.

I prefer the look of the latest Abu...the 507 mk II but it's a bit of a dog at 14oz. Im not sure I want a pound of reel on a light float rod...especially as I'm thinking of getting an Acolyte.

We'll see. If it's a pup it won't stand me in too much.

robertroach

Reaction score
Another vote from me for the Daiwa125m. I bought it to replace my Abu 706 which had one problem after another and put me off buying another Abu.

So far so good, it's been absolutely faultless. OK it's not the most beautiful thing to look at but it's not horrible either.

neal webb

Reaction score
Daiwa 125m for me.
Lovely reel to use, smooth and faultless. I use it for my Stillwater waggler fishing for silvers and it's just the tool for the job.
I started using a closed face reel for Stillwater wagglers after reading an article by Jim Baxter.
I've just purchased an Abu 507 mk2 as well but not used it yet. It's bigger but looks the part and will be used for a slightly beefier SW waggler set up.
I hope you find one to suit your fishing.....they're great reels for wagglers on SW .

trotter2

Reaction score
The 506 mk2 is a good reel so is the 706 the first thing you will notice when you move over from the mk1 jobs is the increased winding power of the New models.
I got rid of all my old closed face reels
Yes they have better build quality in comparison but that's about it .I like the New models but not the 507 it's too heavy.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I finally got to see one of the new 507's......beast of a thing. Too big,too heavy and my dainty little girly fingers could barely reach the spool. The 506 has beenn tucked away for Christmas so I've not used it yet but it seems fine though not of the same build quality as the originals. Worth what I paid for it anyway.

trotter2

Reaction score
You will like the new 506 kippy its a good reel mate.

ribblemeister

Reaction score
506 mk 2 is a cracker but the 507 mk 2 I had lasted 2 hours on the bank before I took it back to the shop .
The line went around the black line release button over half a dozen times in that time.
Even contacted Abu about this and I personally think it should be set in a slight recess like the best closed face of all Time the ryobi cf1 in green.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never seen a closed faced reel comparable to the old abu 501.....they where the best closed faced reel back in the day and imo they still are!

ribblemeister

Reaction score
Had a couple of 501s myself but I must dissagree the Ryobi's were fare more smoother and refined.
But we all have our favourites and can't argue that the 501s were really good reels.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i wouldnt disagree. I've got two but I've temporarily misplaced them. I know theyre in the shed somewhere just not exactly where.:eek:mg:

I'd dig 'em out Skippy and spend that coin on something worth buying ;).....or send the offending money to me and i'll deal with it :D :w.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are the spools of the old 501 and the old 506 interchangeable?

Keith M

Reaction score
Plus the Abu 506M (Match) spools with the chenille backing also fit the plain Abu 506 so If tigger is right they should also fit the old Abu 501.

Keith

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Plus the Abu 506M (Match) spools with the chenille backing also fit the plain Abu 506 so If tigger is right they should also fit the old Abu 501.

Keith

They do, Keith. I bought a couple of 506M spools from Ebay and fitted them to my own 501.