Power Walker

Ronnie

Reaction score
As the years up creeping up on me I am finding it more difficult to push or pull my barrow or trolley to go fishing, obviously I don't want to give it up.
I have recently been looking at a motorised Trolley called a "Power Walker". It looks good but I would like some information on its merits or otherwise.
Does any one own one of these and could you please let me know if these are worth buying.
Thanks in anticipation of lots of reply's.

Ronnie

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought one a few years ago and have used it a fair bit since then.

It is a good piece of kit especially on commercials where there are decent paths but can be a little unwieldy on rough ground like on a river. Even so it still beats having to push or pull a heavy trolley on ones own.

It is best to keep it plugged in more if less permanently to ensure you never run out of battery power, which is always a bit of a headache.

Hope this helps.

theartist

Reaction score
Is it me or is some disability tech still in the dark ages? My mums in a chair so that's the only reference I have so apologies in advance if any offence is caused. Power trolleys are just trolleys with a small motor attached but do what they do, chairs are still pretty basic and mobility scooters with their tiny wheels and limited suspension look like they would have trouble getting over a manhole never mind rough ground.

On the flip side more and more places are going from natural to urbanized paths and it wont be long before the country is one big paved cycle network.

There must be a market for a chair that's a proper off roader, good suspension, light but powerful motor that can handle areas like fields and woodland

Has there even been a chair made for disabled anglers with the necessary angling requirements thought of? If not why not as the market would be big and is only going to grow.

thecrow

Reaction score
mobility scooters with their tiny wheels and limited suspension look like they would have trouble getting over a manhole never mind rough ground.

I have a small mobility scooter, one that can easily be taken apart and put into the car, I have used it when I used to fish the Derbyshire Derwent , although its small it did enable me to reach swims that were unreachable without it, must have looked a site trundling across the fields with my tackle :) I stopped using it as I (and the wife) got fed up with cleaning the sheep £h!! off the wheels.

Some of the scooters now available can handle any terrain with 4 wheel drive but they are big and would need a trailer to get it where you wanted to go but they would be just the job for an angler.

When I could walk better I found the power walker a great help.

Ronnie

Reaction score
Thanks for the "positive" feedback guys, that is most helpful. Not too sure about the Chair comments though!

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm a bit late to this thread, but there's one factor that you might like to know that's not been mentioned. I had one for a season, and once set up on a decent path or track it works a treat and is very well built. But it's one heavy piece of kit, and I found, since one of my problems is a chronic back injury, that getting it in and out of the boot was a risky business, even with the weighty battery detached, and out of the question with the battery in. I rang the makers for a chat, and when I asked why a product aimed at anglers likely to be a bit infirm was so hefty and unwieldy, I was told they wanted to offer a product that gave value by lasting well. Fair enough, but I'd have preferred a lighter version I could use, even if I had to replace it, and I sold mine shortly after. If you're at all prone to back problems or similar I'd suggest tracking one down to see if you're ok with the lifting and manoevring before buying mail order, as I did.

Ronnie

Reaction score
That's interesting nottskev,
I am aware they are a bit on the heavy side, I asked the manufacturers if they have any stockists in my area so that I could try it first, but they said they don't have any one who keeps them, they are all supplied from them when ordered.

I have never seen one in use. What I need to find is some one who owns one in the Hampshire or surrounding area, but I suppose that is a bit of a long shot.

Ronnie