non fishmeal groundbait

associatedmatt

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a good non fishmeal ground bait used to fish a natraul lake ?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I think this question could be better answered by your local tackle shop as they are more likely to know the water you are referring to...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thing is alot of groundbaits are fishmeal based these days only one i can think as a carrier is brown crumb

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
thing is alot of groundbaits are fishmeal based these days only one i can think as a carrier is brown crumb

Try looking at Vandenyde, Sensas and Dynamite, all these sought of companies do ranges of ground baits that are not all fishmeal :rolleyes:

thecrow

Reaction score

Good old fashioned brown crumb is still an effective groundbait when its full of bits such as hemp, corn, chopped worm maggots, all can hold fish in a swim and keep them grubbing about. You can even dye it a different colour if you want.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
browncrub it is when weather warms up , im hoping it does by late march as got 2 weeks off work :D

flightliner

Reaction score
I use a cracking non fishmeal groundbait thats sold by a corn , feed and pet shop outlet based in Rotherham. It's sold under their own name (Cookes) and is £1 a kilo, Twelve to fifteen bags during the summer and autumn just about sees me right.
Not sure if they have a website ( they must do ) but well worth seeing if they do and also deliver ???.

laguna

Reaction score
White bread died brown :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope!
have another go :)

---------- Post added at 02:15 ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 ----------

To filling during the middle of winter, also fish meal consists of oils which in tern can solidify in cold water and possibly make the ground bait not as effective.

Not all, a few fishmeal's actually contain less oil than some bird foods!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
White bread roasted brown?
Or possibly a rusk, extruded into a hot oven?

Anyhow, Brown crumb in the groundbait makes the balls (of groundbait) take on water and fall apart, whereas white crumb binds it together, so you can blend them to get the effect you want - say, one part white to three of crumb for close in on shallow water; maybe three white to one brown if you need to chuck it miles and/or reach the bottom in one piece and crumble slowly.

Bran is a good bulker-up that also helps the bait break up, it must be soaked and wrung out before adding it, or it'll float and draw more ducks than you knew existed. Fish like it, too.

Corn products bind like glue (think of the struggle to clean dried up cornflakes of the cereal bowl) and include ground-up cornflakes, corn-meal, and Vitalin dog food.

Other breakers-up are ground-up biscuits, chick-pea meal (Besan or Gram flour) and layers mash.

If you're rich and want a gentler binding agent than corn, Psyllium husk might be worth experimenting with (Think "Fibogel" de-constipator - Psyllium is the active ingredient, a.f.a.i.k.)

I must give gravy browning a try one day, too. Endless scope for experimenting.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Nope!

Fair do's Chris, to be honest I'm lucky really because I don't use neither :p

swizzle

Reaction score
Nope!

Digestive biscuits? Smells like them to me anyway.

laguna

Reaction score
White bread roasted brown? Or possibly a rusk, extruded into a hot oven?
Brown crumb is made from Toasted white bread. :thumbs:

Brown bread crumb can be had from some small independent bakers (though Supermarkets will tell you they can't sell you bulk crumb because of the potential for broken blades?), but the vast majority sold to anglers is made by toasting fresh white crumb in an oven. Seems reasonable to assume its toasted to drive off the moisture and to make it easier to fine down a bit further. White crumb by comparison is simply dehydrated white crumb - a process which takes much longer using dehumidifiers.
What's interesting is that most anglers who regularly use WHITE liccy bread, would never consider using a white groundbait crumb? The reason is because fish feel more confident feeding over a darker spot on the bottom whereas white crumb is generally reserved as an attractor/feed from a pole pot.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Brown crumb is made from Toasted white bread. :thumbs:

Brown bread crumb can be had from some small independent bakers (though Supermarkets will tell you they can't sell you bulk crumb because of the potential for broken blades?), but the vast majority sold to anglers is made by toasting fresh white crumb in an oven. Seems reasonable to assume its toasted to drive off the moisture and to make it easier to fine down a bit further. White crumb by comparison is simply dehydrated white crumb - a process which takes much longer using dehumidifiers.
What's interesting is that most anglers who regularly use WHITE liccy bread, would never consider using a white groundbait crumb? The reason is because fish feel more confident feeding over a darker spot on the bottom whereas white crumb is generally reserved as an attractor/feed from a pole pot.

Spot on, I completely agree, well said :thumbs:

rayner

Reaction score
When I fish deep swims on still waters I use Sensas supa black roach, £3.75 a bag with 25% brown crumb. If the black roach has fishmeal I'm not sure but roach and skimmers like it.