Match Fishing - Angling Trust and British Waterways Stillwater Championship
The Angling Trust report on the first championship which saw a change of venue produce an excellent result.
The final of this inaugural joint venture event between the Angling Trust and British Waterways Stillwater Championships was switched to Blythe Fisheries in the West Midlands from Boddington Reservoir where water levels were extremely low. Initially several of the finalists were apprehensive about the new venue but after the match many said that, given the circumstances, it was probably for the best.
Following a week which produced gale force winds, flat calms, overnight temperatures down into low single figures and constantly changing air pressures, it was not surprising that catches were down on expectations. That said, the anglers felt that the venue was fair with many on pegs that, on another day, would have produced a framing weight. This view was reinforced by looking at the section winning weights where 25lb was the lowest needed to take the money.
Eventual winner was Leicester angler Sean Huggins (Dynamite Baits) who weighed in 54lb 7oz from peg 6 on Willow Pool. Sean caught all but one of his fish down the left and right margins including a real ‘lump’ of around 14lb. Sean took away a superb trophy and the winner’s cheque for £3,000.
Runner up was Garbolino/Bait-Tech sponsored Grant Albutt. Grant was just round the corner from Sean on Willows peg 4 and brought 48lb 3oz to the scales. His catch comprised medium sized carp taken shallow across to the boom on pellet but afterwards he regretted making a switch to the margins for the last hour or so where he caught only one carp. Grant received a cheque for £1,258.
Brian Clarke of Banbury Gunsmiths captured third spot with a weight of 37lb from Bridge Pool peg 10. Brian’s catch included a couple of pole caught ‘lumps’ and his third place cheque was £662.
By the Same Author
- Men ordered to pay more than Â£1,400 for illegal fishing: a reminder...
- WIN Oakley Sunglasses with FM and Shade Station
- Whales sculpture highlights threat of plastic pollution to oceans
- Emma's Challenge - Part 23
- CELEBRATE THE 16TH WITH AN EXTRA 10% OFF SALE PRICES!
- Clean up operation in full swing after deliberate fuel leak into Grand Union canal
- Emma's Challenge - Part 22
- Emma's Challenge - Part 21
- June Photo-Caption Competition!
- Angling Trust Announces New Freshwater Team Member