British Barbel Angling Championships
A new event is looking to find the ‘best’ barbel anglers in the UK
Just as pike matches cause dismay amongst some pike anglers and carp matches are not universally loved by all carp anglers so a new single species event scheduled for 2013 is likely to cause controversy in the barbel world and upset the purists.
The British Barbel Angling Championships (BBAC) is aimed primarily at specimen anglers rather than matchmen with competitors fishing a series of qualifier events on the rivers Wye, Trent and Severn from the start of the 2013 season.
It is proposed that each of the rivers will host a 24 hour qualifying round for pairs of anglers and, in the interests of barbel conservation, the recording system will ensure that no barbel caught will be retained in nets but weighed, witnessed and returned with a running total kept for every angler.
The top five pairs from the qualifying heats, together with the captor of the single biggest fish, will go through to the grand final that is planned for a River Trent venue in September 2013 with cash prizes and trophies up for grabs - along with the prestige og being crowned BBAC champions.
The organisers of the event, Barbel and River Angling Events UK, are looking for some 60 teams to enter the inaugural championship and, in addition, the company is looking for major sponsors, individual sponsors for the qualifiers and clubs that have suitable match venues on the rivers.
Anglers, sponsors and clubs interested in getting involved can contact the organisers at: email@example.com
By the Same Author
- Carp Fishing – Issue 17 of the Carp Channel is now Live!
- Welsh Carp Championships
- Chalk Stream Charter Launched This Week
- Take Someone Fishing this Bank Holiday Weekend - For FREE!
- Voluntary Bailiff Service – A Project Update on the Angling Trust’s Fight Against Poaching and Fish Theft
- Anglers Urged to Speak Up for the River Thames
- Match Fishing – Fish ‘O’ Mania 2013 Heat Ten
- Salmon and Trout Association Welcomes Marine Harvest Fish Farm Certification
- Angler’s Mail 21 May 2013
- Bait-Tech Launch 'Street Squad'