River Eden Restoration Project
The Kent Wildlife Trust has launched a new project, ‘Return to Eden’, funded by Defra, which aims to improve the ecological condition of the River Eden and its surrounding habitats for the benefit of residents, visitors and wildlife.
The river is currently considered to be in ‘poor ecological condition’ and has been identified by the Water Framework Directive as a priority catchment. Pollutants, such as metaldehyde, phosphates and sediments are reducing water quality and the river’s ability to support wildlife such as otters, water voles and birds.
The Trust will work closely with landowners and managers along a 17.3km stretch of the Eden - between Penshurst and Edenbridge - to identify ways to reduce pollutants and improve habitats.
Return to Eden Assistant Project Officer, Anna David, said:
“The Eden is already designated a Local Wildlife Site and flows through some of Kent’s prettiest and most historic landscapes and has great potential to be not only a healthy haven for wildlife, but a recreational hub for all to enjoy.”
Grants and advice on a range of works are available including: the creation of buffer zones to reduce run-off from arable land; fencing to reduce poaching from cattle; improvements for aquatic vegetation and fish spawning; removal of obstructions to migratory fish, creation of otter habitats and holts; scrub clearing and wildflower seeding; wetland, pond and scrape creation and enhancement.
The Trust will also be working with landowners to provide advice on environmental stewardship agreements.
The Trust would like to hear from anyone who manages land in the River Eden Catchment. Call 01622 357871 or email Anna David at email@example.com
By the Same Author
- The Barbel Society, Barbel Show 2013
- Fobney Island Nature Reserve Opens
- Britain’s Biggest Pike
- Carp Fishing - The Essex Carp Championships
- Match Fishing – Angling Trust and Canal and River Trust Stillwater Championship 2013
- Record Salmon Lured by Rhino Spoon
- Eels Again - Fishermen Net Fines and Bans for Illegal Elver Fishing
- Match Fishing – Fish ‘O’Mania 2013 Heat Nine
- Carp Fishing – 50lb Common for Franck
- Salmon and Trout Association Appoint Fundraising Manager