Home | News/Events | News | Free Fishing in Wales

Free Fishing in Wales

The Severn Rivers Trust have reached an agreement with EA Wales whereby they will promote and manage their existing free fisheries in Wales.

The fisheries are:

Llanidloes

A typical upper Severn water with very good winter grayling fishing it has both wooded and open sections, good pools and fast stickles. The beat enjoys good hatches of fly and the trout can, at times, be free rising but late evenings provide the best opportunities during the summer months or at times of low water. There are also occasional salmon present late in the season.

Penarth

A main slower section of river above Penerth Weir with fishing primarily for chub, dace, grayling, brown trout and the occasional salmon.

Newtown

A mainly open stretch with fishing for chub, dace and brown trout.

Full details and maps of the fisheries may be found HERE

steph mckenzie on 31/05/2012 13:19:25
Do you still need a Rod License to fish these waters?
Titus on 31/05/2012 22:15:27
Do you still need a Rod License to fish these waters? With respect, I'm surprised someone who has accumulated 750 posts on this forum should be asking such a question. The answer is obviously yes, you need a licence. The free bit only refers to the fact that the stretches concerned are owned by the EA and they won't charge a day ticket.
steph mckenzie on 01/06/2012 04:26:15
Titus on 01/06/2012 22:21:06
Titus, Don't with respect me, then go on to as much call me an idiot. I only asked as it wasn't that clear to me. I thought that it was going to be free as the EA no longer controlled those stretches, hence why i asked if that included owning a Rod License. Perhaps the reason you have only posted 139 posts in 7 years is because you're not a people person. The reason I rarely post is because I get fed up with dealing with stroppy gits like you. Just to clarify, you need a rod licence even if you are fishing in your own back garden. It's not rocket science.
Mr Cholmondeley-Corker (PaSC) on 02/06/2012 04:48:35
Titus Do you need a rod license to fish in Scotland?
steph mckenzie on 02/06/2012 06:01:29
Titus on 02/06/2012 08:16:18
Titus Do you need a rod license to fish in Scotland? Depends where you are in Scotland. Environment Agency - Rod Fishing Licence - Frequently Asked Questions ---------- Post added at 08:16 ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 ---------- Titus - Blah de Blah de Blah I really can't be doing with arrogant kn*b Heads like yourself who just treat everyone like idiots because they feel they know better. For this reason i shall just block you as i can't be 4rsed with your nonsense. I would rather tell you to your face than do it behind your back. Goodbye forever and good luck with your further posts. Have you considered counselling mate, obviously a few self-esteem issues going on here. PS, I read your blog......
Poshpaul (Angling Trust and PaSC) on 02/06/2012 15:46:01
Titus on 02/06/2012 17:33:45
Ok gents calm down. Steph's enquiry was perfectly sensible; particularly as working in Wales I can confirm that there are an increasingly large number of issues where the law/rules significantly differ from England. (Not fishing licences though - yet!!) The name calling by both is not necessary. A lesson in not assuming anything I feel. Actually Paul I agree it was a reasonable question if the op had been a novice, but with 750 posts to his name I assumed the guy had been around long enough to have some idea of the basics.......Clearly after reading his blog and some of his past posts I can see the mistake was on my part........It still doesn't excuse the bumptious tone used in both of his replies to me.