Team England Youth Fly Fishing
Twenty five young anglers took part in the 2012 Team England Youth Fly Fishing qualifier at Pitsford Water last week.
Conditions on the day were good with a light easterly breeze giving the water a slight ripple, perfect for buzzer fishing. Six boats started in the ‘small half’ close to the boat pontoon and it was Fen Oakley who was into the fish quickly netting four in quick succession but it was young young Calum Smalley who ultimately stole the show.
Fishing with former England Youth team captain Ryan Worker as boatman, Calum motored to Pitsford Creek to take his eight fish limit by 13.40. Using floating and Midge Tip lines he fished Buzzers and Diawl Bachs for a winning bag of 24lb 10oz (including time bonus) in what was the only bag limit of the day.
Fen Oakley struggled after his early start and finished the day with six fish for 19lb 2oz. Robbie Turner took third place with four fish for 13lb 8oz. The biggest fish was a 5lb 10oz rainbow caught by Adam Worker.
The top ten finishers all go through to the 2013 England Youth Team to fish in Wales in the Home International. There are four more places yet to be selected after this year’s Home International in Ireland.
Out of the ten qualifiers, there are six new young anglers who will be receiving their first International Cap. Out of the remaining four anglers, Fen Oakley, Oliver Avis and Jack Shelley will be receiving their 3rd Cap and Adam Worker will be one of very few who will receive the maximum of five International Youth Caps.
1. Calum Smalley eight fish for 24lb 10oz
2. Fen Oakley six fish for 19lb 2oz
3. Robbie Turner four fish for 13lb 8oz
4. Adam Worker four fish for 12lb 5oz
5. Alex Waddington five fish for 11lb 9oz
6. Jack Shelley four fish for 10lb 11oz
7. Graham Hayward four fish for 10lb 10oz
8. Simon Bosher four fish for 9lb 10oz
9. Thomas Adamson three fish for 7lb 9oz
10. Oliver Avis three fish for 6lb 9oz
11. William Robbins two fish for 6lb 3oz
12. Joe Greenhough three fish for 5lb 15oz
13. Nick Hamilton two fish for 5lb 4oz
14. Conor Metcalfe two fish for 5lb
15. Conor Clarke two fish for 3lb 15oz
16. Jack Darlow one fish for 3lb 9oz
17. Jack Hardy one fish for 2lb 11oz
18. Freddie Kent 1one fish for 2lb 6oz
19. Daniel Tranter one fish for 2lb 2oz
20. Toff Crowther one fish for 2lb 2oz
21. Thomas McKimm one fish for 2lb
The England Youth Fly Fishing Association is now part of the Angling Trust's competitions structure and operates under the name Team England Youth Fly Fishing; they would like to thank everyone who entered, and all those who helped out and supported the event.
By the Same Author
- River Dredging Threat – Benyon Calms the Storm
- Merseyside County Championships 2013
- Carp Fishing – Issue 17 of the Carp Channel is now Live!
- Welsh Carp Championships
- Chalk Stream Charter Launched This Week
- Take Someone Fishing this Bank Holiday Weekend - For FREE!
- Voluntary Bailiff Service – A Project Update on the Angling Trust’s Fight Against Poaching and Fish Theft
- Anglers Urged to Speak Up for the River Thames
- Match Fishing – Fish ‘O’ Mania 2013 Heat Ten
- Salmon and Trout Association Welcomes Marine Harvest Fish Farm Certification