Fish Legal - Job Vacancy: Head Solicitor
An opportunity has arisen to head Fish Legal, the unique non-profit membership association that takes legal action to protect the water environment and fisheries on behalf of its member angling clubs, riparian owners and other organisations from across the UK.
Formed in 1948 as the Anglers' Co-operative Association the organisation has a proud and successful history in conserving the environment and supporting angling. A fundamental aspect of its work remains taking civil cases against polluters, but it also now encompasses a general advice service to its growing membership, as well as representing their interests in areas of strategic or general importance. This includes working in partnership with the Angling Trust.
Title: Head Solicitor
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Location: Eastwood House, 6 Rainbow St, Leominster, Herefordshire, HR6 8DQ.
Working hours: Full time - a 37 hour week.
Remuneration: Dependant on experience.
Contributory stakeholder pension scheme offered after 3 months.
Organisation-wide bonus scheme.
Holidays: 23 days leave plus public holidays in your first year, increasing one day per year to a maximum of 28 days.
Time off in lieu may be accrued for occasional weekend and late evening working.
Purpose of the job:
To lead the legal department at Fish Legal across UK-wide jurisdictions.
To work with the Chief Executive as part of the senior management team of Angling
Trust and Fish Legal.
• Good degree in Law or equivalent qualification
• Qualified solicitor with at least 4 years PQE
• Experience of civil litigation and environmental law;
• Experience of running nuisance cases;
• Public speaking experience including advocacy;
• Good drafting skills;
• Management experience;
• Commitment to environmental issues;
• Sympathy with objectives of Fish Legal and the Angling Trust;
• Understanding of factors affecting the aquatic environment;
• Scientific background desirable but not necessary.
• manage the legal department, consisting of 3 solicitors, 1 legal assistant and 1 legal secretary
• manage a legal budget and oversee time recording and cost recovery
• train and supervise staff including solicitors and legal assistants
• review performance of staff
• report to Fish Legal Committee, Legal Advisory Committee and Chief Executive
• ensure that the legal work undertaken by the department remains compliant with the regulatory framework for lawyers and legal practice
• prepare reports, updates and reviews of current legal work for committees and membership
• run cases and supervise those delegated with the running of such cases including other staff and/or external solicitors or consultants - as necessary
• advise members and committee on the law with regard to environmental issues affecting angling across the jurisdictions covered by Fish Legal
• instruct counsel and experts where required to advise on environmental and angling law
• represent and conduct advocacy for Fish Legal or individual members at court hearings and trials
• meet and negotiate with representatives of other relevant organisations
• correspond with Government agencies, including the Environment Agency, English Nature, Countryside Council for Wales and so on
• co-ordinate, review and/or draft press releases to publicise the work of Fish Legal to the membership or the public
• assist the Angling Trust's Chief Executive and Environmental Campaigns Managers in England with campaigning
• attend senior management team meetings of the Angling Trust and Fish Legal to discuss collaboration between the organisations
• report to the Legal Advisory Committee and the Fish Legal Committee on progress with cases and performance against budgets and key performance indicators
• assist the Chief Executive with promoting the work of Fish Legal
• respond to relevant governmental consultations
To download an application form visit the Angling Trust website; the deadline for applications is Friday 13 July.
By the Same Author
- Welsh Carp Championships
- Chalk Stream Charter Launched This Week
- Take Someone Fishing this Bank Holiday Weekend - For FREE!
- Voluntary Bailiff Service – A Project Update on the Angling Trust’s Fight Against Poaching and Fish Theft
- Anglers Urged to Speak Up for the River Thames
- Match Fishing – Fish ‘O’ Mania 2013 Heat Ten
- Salmon and Trout Association Welcomes Marine Harvest Fish Farm Certification
- Angler’s Mail 21 May 2013
- Bait-Tech Launch 'Street Squad'
- Salmon and Trout Association reports Sainsbury’s to Advertising Standards Authority and Trading Standards