River Wandle Pollution – Appeal for Information
Environment Agency officers who acted to stop a spillage of red diesel devastating the River Wandle yesterday (02 July) are calling on local residents to provide information regarding the source of the pollution.
Specialist Environment Agency officers were swiftly on the scene at the River Wandle at Wandle Park in Croydon to deal with the pollutant and to stop it from causing significant environmental damage. The oil, which was initially reported by construction workers, has now been seen more than a mile downstream and has reached Beddington Park but the team, assisted by Thames Water Utilities Limited and on site engineering contractors, averted disaster by containing several hundred litres of oil by using booms and by tankering away the oil.
The Environment Agency is now appealing for any information on where the leak originated from and is urging the public to come forward with any details on who may be responsible for the incident.
Matt Higginson of the Environment Agency said:
“This incident had the potential to seriously pollute the river and cause a great deal of environmental damage. We urgently need to trace the source of the leak as soon as possible to prevent any further risk of pollution.
I urge anyone who may have any information on where the diesel is coming from to contact us immediately so we can stop it posing any further threat to the local environment. We are also very keen to receive any information on who is responsible for this pollution.
A full investigation into the incident is underway and surveys of the affected stretch of river will take place to assess the impact of any ecological impact over coming weeks.”
Members of the public with any information on the incident can call the Environment Agency’s 24 hour hotline on 0800 807060
By the Same Author
- Bait-Tech Launch 'Street Squad'
- Salmon and Trout Association reports Sainsbury’s to Advertising Standards Authority and Trading Standards
- The Barbel Society, Barbel Show 2013
- Fobney Island Nature Reserve Opens
- Britain’s Biggest Pike
- Carp Fishing - The Essex Carp Championships
- Match Fishing – Angling Trust and Canal and River Trust Stillwater Championship 2013
- Record Salmon Lured by Rhino Spoon
- Eels Again - Fishermen Net Fines and Bans for Illegal Elver Fishing
- Match Fishing – Fish ‘O’Mania 2013 Heat Nine