Amazon Angling to Hit TV Screens
Adventure angler Steve Townson has fulfilled his dream of getting a TV series about fishing the Amazon Basin onto British television.
The eight-part ‘Fishing Expedition Amazonia’ will be screened on Discovery TV every Friday at 2200 from 03 August.
It came about following a chance meeting with producer James Worby at an angling show and together they agreed to jointly fund a project which saw Steve fishing and filming on the Rio Paru and Rio Tau, tributaries of the mighty river.
Steve, who has fished the Amazon more times than any other living British angler, said:
“On the first trip to the Paru it was tough going and we only caught 24 fish the whole week, but we still made four great episodes which really capture the adventure of fishing in the jungle.
The Rio Tao was different in every sense. We literally caught fish after fish and made four incredible episodes, with amazing footage. We caught so many species including peacock bass, bicuda, aimara, payara, piranha, pescada, jandia, redtails, piraiba, surubim, pacu... the list goes on!”
Steve has also filmed a second series in the region, ‘Welcome to the Jungle’, which can be viewed online and on smart phones at www.fishingtv.com .
“My lasting memory of Fishing Expedition Amazonia is how diverse these rivers are, and how remote. Remote is good in many senses, away from anyone and anything. I have a sat phone for emergencies and a float plane can be called at a moment's notice. But you are struck by how hard it would be to survive if things went wrong. It’s the very definition of adventure angling.”
By the Same Author
- The Barbel Society, Barbel Show 2013
- Fobney Island Nature Reserve Opens
- Britain’s Biggest Pike
- Carp Fishing - The Essex Carp Championships
- Match Fishing – Angling Trust and Canal and River Trust Stillwater Championship 2013
- Record Salmon Lured by Rhino Spoon
- Eels Again - Fishermen Net Fines and Bans for Illegal Elver Fishing
- Match Fishing – Fish ‘O’Mania 2013 Heat Nine
- Carp Fishing – 50lb Common for Franck
- Salmon and Trout Association Appoint Fundraising Manager