EuroMillions - Angler Nets a Million
An angler from Hythe, Kent won’t need to talk about the ‘one that got away’ after his EuroMillions Millionaire Raffle ticket returned a whopping £1 million.
Despite being on holiday, factory worker Ron Warne (46) was up early on Wednesday morning digging for bait on the beach at Hythe completely unaware that he was the town’s newest millionaire. Cold and miserable he was bemoaning his freezing cold feet and grumbling that he was going to have to find the money to buy some new thermal boots.
Ron plays EuroMillions every Tuesday and Friday, and always checks his Millionaire Raffle selection first, before moving on to check the numbers. On Wednesday, returning from the beach, Ron settled down in front of the TV to quickly check his ticket. As the Raffle selection started to match that on his ticket Ron couldn’t believe his eyes, and once he realised he was a winner all he could think to shout was “I’ve won a million pounds!”
Ron’s wife, Sue, and his sister and brother-in-law who were staying with the family, all ran into the room to see what the commotion was and promptly helped double and triple check that he was indeed a millionaire.
Although a healthy provision has been made to buy new fishing gear, Ron’s priority is to use the win to pay off the mortgage and finish some home improvements. A new Citroen van is also on the cards to carry all that equipment and a trip to Spain...to go fishing of course!
The fishing bug has also bitten the couple’s son. Ron said:
“Alex really enjoys freshwater fishing but with me working nights and money being so tight we’ve haven’t been able to go for almost three years. Of course, that will all change now and Alex will have some pretty good gear coming his way – no more struggling on with dad’s old cast-offs.”
By the Same Author
- Lure Fishing - World Championship Team Selection Trials
- World's Biggest Beach Angling Festival Celebrates 21st Birthday
- Fishing with Emma - Stalking a Chub Part Seven
- Angler’s Mail 04 March 2014
- An Evening with Dave Currell and Keith Speer
- Meetings Announced to Present Sea Angling 2012 Results
- Sea Fishing – Bass Anglers in Online Angling Forum Data Gathering Row
- Fishing with Emma - Stalking a Chub Part Six
- Angler’s Mail 25 February 2014
- Angler’s Mail 18 February 2014