Match Fishing â€“ Winter League Semi Final Two
Report and results from the second Angling Trust Winter League semi final fished on the GUC at Loughborough
West Yorkshire-based Garbolino Ossett stormed to victory with a total of 54 points in the Angling Trust Winter League semi final on the Grand Union Canal, Loughborough on Sunday 24 February with the team recording three section wins and just one blank. Runners up were Drennan North West with a total of 50 points with one section winner and the third and final qualifying spot up for grabs went to Leicester Sensas fishing their home water.
The match was a very difficult one with just small pockets of fish feeding and many anglers struggling for a bite in sub-zero conditions and water temperatures a lowly three degrees. This was in sharp contrast to the form the venue showed in early January when weights of 5lb were common. To illustrate just how difficult the conditions were Leicester Sensas had three blanks, but other good point scores, including three section wins, gave them a total of 49 points.
Tactics for most teams were very similar: fishing bloodworm and joker on very light rigs with caster or worm to target bonus perch. A few anglers also caught some small roach on bread punch early in the match.
The best individual results came from the deeper sections of the canal where a few more roach and perch fed. Most catches consisted of roach of one and two ounces caught on bloodworm although some bonus perch up to a pound in weight were also caught.
1st Garbolino Ossett 54 points
2nd Drennan North West 50 points
3rd Leicester Sensas 49 points
1st T. Hopkins, Garbolino Ossett, 2kg 360g
2nd= Darren Frost, Drennan North West and Bob Greenbury, Leicester Sensas, 1kg 830g
By the Same Author
- Men ordered to pay more than Â£1,400 for illegal fishing: a reminder...
- WIN Oakley Sunglasses with FM and Shade Station
- Whales sculpture highlights threat of plastic pollution to oceans
- Emma's Challenge - Part 23
- CELEBRATE THE 16TH WITH AN EXTRA 10% OFF SALE PRICES!
- Clean up operation in full swing after deliberate fuel leak into Grand Union canal
- Emma's Challenge - Part 22
- Emma's Challenge - Part 21
- June Photo-Caption Competition!
- Angling Trust Announces New Freshwater Team Member