Match Fishing – Fish ‘O’ Mania 2013 Heat Four
Report and results from round four of Fish 'O' Mania 2013 fished at Colemans Cottage, Essex.
A sharp overnight frost greeted competitors in the fourth Fish ‘O’ Mania qualifier at Colemans Cottage Fishery, Essex and this slowed things right up for quite a few anglers. Although first and second placed rods, Les Thompson and Marc Jones started catching from the start.
Former Fish ‘O’ Mania finalist and reigning Maver ‘Match This’ champion, Les Thompson, drew the much fancied peg 4 on Copse Lake and fished pellet shallow on long pole to net carp to 5lb in his winning 167lb net. Les made his long trip from the West Midlands very worthwhile especially as it was his first visit to the qualifying venue.
In runners up spot was a former Fish ‘O’ Mania Champion, Marc Jones from Wakefield. Marc drew peg 1 on Wood Lake where he fished pellets on long pole to a small island, and short down the edge to land carp to 7lb and some F1s for his 143 lb net.
Third place went to Godmanchester angler Ricky Young representing Browning Hot Rods. Ricky fished pellet shallow for 132lb 8oz net of carp to 10 lb. In fourth place was former Fish ‘O’ Mania finalist Geoff Valance (Preston Innovations Delcac), who fished dead maggots down the edge on Wood 17 for his net of carp and barbel for 131lb 5oz.
On the day Wood, Copse and Pathfield Lakes fished very well with the lowest of the eight ten-peg section weights 72lb 8oz, with seven anglers weighing over the ton. Stepfield Lake, however, was rather off form and most anglers struggled for the odd fish.
By the Same Author
- First TideFest is a Great Success
- Thames Fishery Research Experiment 2014
- Team England Crash to 16th Place in the 2014 World Championship
- Fishing with Emma: Winter Carp - Part Four
- Angler’s Mail 30 September 2014
- Preparation, Preparation, Preparation: Tony’s Specialist Scene
- The Angling Trust – Have Your Say
- Fishing with Emma: Winter Carp - Part Three
- Green Light for Thames Super Sewer
- The Tunny Club Exhibition