Enjoy Your Local River
There are lots of ways to enjoy your local river for free – while also helping river wildlife to thrive.
In a news release the Eden Rivers Trust report that they are offering a variety of volunteer opportunities over the summer for anyone interested in having a great day out on the river.
Examples of the activities on offer include surveying fish and crayfish populations in the tributaries of the River Eden. Helping with surveys does not require any special skills or experience and all necessary training is provided. It just requires a willingness to spend all day outside and a general level of fitness. It involves wading in shallow waters, with waders provided by the Trust if you don’t have your own!
Surveys of native wildlife show how these animals are faring and give an indication of the health of the river. They also identify where work is needed to improve the condition of the river for its wildlife.
Removing invasive plants such as Himalayan balsam from around lakes and rivers is another of the voluntary tasks on offer. This takes place at different locations in the Eden Valley including around Ullswater and in Carlisle. Again no specialist knowledge is required and great satisfaction can be gained from knowing you have cleared a nuisance from the countryside.
David Greaves, Cumbria University student, said:
“Volunteering with Eden Rivers Trust is great! You go to beautiful places on the river and see wildlife close up. You meet some really interesting people and feel like you are doing something worthwhile for the environment. I love it!”
To get involved you can contact the Trust office at Newton Rigg College, Penrith on 01768 866788 or via email at email@example.com For more details of the Trust’s volunteering opportunities click HERE
By the Same Author
- Men ordered to pay more than £1,400 for illegal fishing: a reminder...
- WIN Oakley Sunglasses with FM and Shade Station
- Whales sculpture highlights threat of plastic pollution to oceans
- Emma's Challenge - Part 23
- CELEBRATE THE 16TH WITH AN EXTRA 10% OFF SALE PRICES!
- Clean up operation in full swing after deliberate fuel leak into Grand Union canal
- Emma's Challenge - Part 22
- Emma's Challenge - Part 21
- June Photo-Caption Competition!
- Angling Trust Announces New Freshwater Team Member