Match Fishing – Veterans’ National 2013
Report and results from the 2013 Veterans’ National fished at Monk Lakes
The ATr report:
A cool start to the day led to a slow start for most of the 99 competitors and not a great deal was caught during the first three hours of the Angling Trust Veterans' National Championship at Monk Lakes Fishery, Maidstone. Thankfully conditions improved and the overcast skies and light wind eventually persuaded the resident carp to go on the feed for the final part of the match. Much fancied Lake 4 didn’t produce the goods but unfancied Lake 3 did, eventually, for John Robinson from Tonbridge who on the three hour mark only had three fish in his net.
Drawn on peg 134 John had to watch the angler on end peg 135 catching well until a switch to fishing paste in the margins changed his fortunes dramatically and carp up to 10lb started dropping into his net regularly for the last two hours. John amassed a magnificent winning weight of 82.500kg to earn him the title of Angling Trust Veterans National Champion 2013. John’s total was way ahead of second placed James Trew from Brentwood who fished at peg 78 on Lake 2 to take 59.250kg of barbel and carp. Close behind was David Savill from Romford who took 3rd place with 55.950 kg from peg 92 on Lake 3.
The top 11 anglers all broke the magic ton to show how good the venue can be.
1st John Robinson, Tonbridge – 82.500kg
2nd James Trew, Brentwood – 59.350kg
3rd David Savill, Romford – 55.950kg
By the Same Author
- Angler’s Mail 02 September 2014
- Review: Oakley Fuel Cell Woodland Camo Sunglasses
- The End of the Road for Himalayan Balsam?
- The Importance of Angling Travel Insurance
- Schools Urged to Give Fishing a Go!
- Sea Fishing - The Saltwater Species Hunt
- Bexhill Angling Festival 2014
- New Cormorant Controls Start in September
- The Best Angling Video Ever?
- Fishing with Emma: Canal Pike: Part Ten