Angling Trust Writes to PM on Behalf of Angling Businesses
The Angling Trust has written to David Cameron and Environment and Fisheries Minister George Eustice to seek assurances that the grants announced for flood-hit businesses will also be made available to angling clubs, fisheries and tackle shops which have lost revenue as a result of high water levels.
Source: Angling Trust
The Angling Trust has had reports from its members that several fishing tackle shops, angling clubs and commercial fisheries in areas affected by the persistent flooding caused by this year’s exceptional rainfall are facing financial ruin because fishing has been largely impossible in many areas. Angling is a major employer, particularly in rural areas, and supports nearly 40,000 jobs nationwide. Tackle shops, clubs and fisheries are all vital parts of the angling infrastructure.
The Angling Trust is working closely with the Environment Agency and officials in Defra to advance a National Angling Strategy, launched by Richard Benyon last year, which aims to increase the economic, social and environmental benefits to society from angling. This strategy relies upon tackle shops, angling clubs and fisheries staying in business to be successful.
Mark Lloyd, Chief Executive of the Angling Trust said:
“Angling is an important part of the rural and national economy and a major employer. We hope that the government will recognise this contribution and that the exceptional weather conditions we have endured this year have had a significant impact on angling businesses. As soon as we have further details about the availability of grants, we will send them to our member clubs, fisheries and tackle shops.”
By the Same Author
- Angling Trust / Fish Legal: a round-up of recent events and initiatives.
- The Inside Angle
- Angling Trust Midlands Fisheries Forum (East) July 19th 2016
- Catch a Crucian Month launches at Marsh Farm with a new ID guide
- Angling Trust East of England Fisheries Forum (Essex) June 9th 2016 - Final Reminder
- Catch a Crucian Month June 2016
- Angling Trust Welcomes New Plan to Save Salmon
- Angling Trust calls on Marine Management Organisation to help tackle illegal bass fishing
- Police in Lincolnshire step up patrols in crackdown on illegal fishing and fish theft
- Minister Confirms Extension of Cormorant Control Initiative