Autumns On Its Way....What Baits To Use ?

barbel liam

Reaction score
im wondering whether to stick with the pellet or try something new this autumn ?

mooks666

Reaction score
;)

Big lump of meat ..l coat mine in bacon fat after a fry up wait till cold bung in freezer then take it out day of fishing the oil will soak in...oh dog gets a bit too ...
Barbs love it !!...

Good luck..

barbel liam

Reaction score
cheers m8 yh meats a good releaser of any oils u put into it so il try that 1 out.

cg74

Reaction score
The only change I do through out the year is to stop using high oil pellets in late autumn (November) til the end of season, unless we have a mild early spring.

The only other difference is to go big and smelly in high water, Or small and very stinky if trying to tempt in low cold water.

Keith M

Reaction score
I don't use fatty or oily baits in the winter months unless it is particularly mild; instead I use spicey flavoured or Crab or lamprey flavoured pellets coated in a soft smelly paste which releases a nice flavour trail leading up to the hookbait.

Plus I use a small PVA stocking nicked onto the hook or loose-feed very sparingly with small soft spicey pellets which also releases some more flavour into the current and hopefully will draw Barbel up to or near the hook.

barbel liam

Reaction score
thanks for your advice m8, obvious that u aint got any idea what to use this autumn your self paul :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
thanks for your advice m8, obvious that u aint got any idea what to use this autumn your self paul :rolleyes:
I am currently doing well using Monster Crab Pellets coated in a soft paste together with 4mm soft pellets for feed. I am also using a lean and firm spice flavoured luncheonmeat mounted on a hair and ripped from the block but once the water gets too cold I will stick to the Spicey, Crab or lamprey pellets coated in soft paste.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
and not one mention of worms, slugs or snails. How things change.
I do use Worms at the start of the season when the Barbel haven't seen a pellet/paste or meat bait for 3 months, but theres usally too many chub around.

However if I am after the Chub then I will use the first two of the baits you mentioned (Worms & Slugs).

Last edited:

barbelbuster

Reaction score
If its clear then caster, caster, caster !! If it colours a bit try maggot.
both on hairs, no big bunches just maximum of 3. and of course hemp.