Braid Or Mono Hook Links ?

barbel liam

Reaction score
Personally i use coated braid or dacron soft braid, what do u use & why ?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I might upset a few people here but these are honest opinions.

I don't think coated braid has a place in barbel fishing. The problem with these braids is the difficulty in getting them to lie flat on the bottom. The only way to do this is to steam them after tying and keep them on a rig board so you are then restricted to a hooklength as long as your board.

I personally think that a good braid is by far the best barbel hooklength in most circumstances, but only in the last few inches above the hook. My preferred hooklength consists of a longish length of mono (reel line or fluoro) of at least 2 ft coupled with a short (4 to 6 inches) length of braid. Join the two with a small rig ring.

The only time I don't use braid is when I'm fishing in a swim where there is a risk of the hook length being abraded - weed, snags, gravel bars, rocks. In these swims I always use a mono hook length. I've not noticed a lot of difference between normal mono and fluoro in these circumstances either in number of fish hooked or in resitance to abrasion.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If i use a long hooklength then it's mono and if a short hooklength then it's usually braid. I use both coated braid and plain braid, favourites being snakeskin coated and drennan sinkbraid in the uncoated.

quickcedo

Reaction score
My usual set up is a braid hooklength of about 6" tied to a small swivel then depending on the amount of weight reqd between 2 and 4 gripper stops followed by a bead the the lead. This allows me to play around with the hook length as much as I want.
In anwswer to the original question if at all poss. Braid, I feel the suppleness and low diameter give it an edge over mono, not much but an edge all the same.
This is the uncoated braid NOT the coated stuff.

Last edited:

johnnyfby

Reaction score
I use a fluoro hooklength with 1 " combi=link of braid, tied with an albright knot. With this you get the stiffness and abbrasion resistance of the fluoro and the limpness of the braid. As per above i wouldnt use coated braid as i find it very expensive for what it is especially when retying blunt hooks regularly.

Stick_Float

Reaction score
I've been using flouro, soft braid and more recently coated braid and I can't say one has completely outperformed the other. I do like the soft braid, I use Drennan Sinkbraid but to cut costs this season instead of using a PVA bag I've been moulding scalded pellet around the lead and have reverted to a coated braid because the soft braid could tangle easily without a PVA bag to straighten the rig out.